the Heavy Tech

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

the Heavy Tech

Post by nicodemus38 »

Ive always seen that the techs have always been regarded as being super mild razors that need multiple passes.

Unless its one of the fun raised flat bottom style.

I just got my heavy tech, and after a week of shaves, ive come to know that its as aggressive as my flare tip, and as nuts as my super adjustable set on 8
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: the Heavy Tech

Post by jww »

Can't say that this has been my experience with any of my Techs. ymmv however.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The early triangle-slot Techs are more aggressive and those made outside the US are reported to be, also. My experience with post-war US-made Techs is that they are very mild. The flair-tip Super Speed is pretty mild too, but not as mild as a Tech.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

They 'flat bottom' ones shave no different despite all the hoopla (Yes, I have one). The Canadian pre-war with triangular slots has more blade exposure than all the other models and is my preferred one.
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

All I know is that it likes thick blades that don't flex much. Toss in a really flexible blade and it turns into a microtome, so does my new improved OC. But with a thicker less flexible blade its a good shaver. A tad more aggressive then my 1946-1947 aristocrat. and a tad more aggressive then my flare tip.
Sure it shouldn't be, but the flare tip unless I go nuts with the soap takes a lot of skin off.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tom, which blades do you find thicker and which do you find thinner?

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

thicker blades would be the old Gillette blue blade, carbon steel. Ive been using a family dollar store brand blade in it, and its either a dorco 300 or dorco 301.

The family dollar blade is a lot thicker and less flexible then platinum plus or Wilkinson sword.

the family dollar blade, if I put the top plate top down on the counter, put a blade on it, and then put the bottom plate on, the family dollar blades LIFT the base plate up. Wilkinson sword being so flexible do nothing.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I haven't compared blades for thickness.

Are the Platinum Plus and Wilkinson Sword blades you reference new or vintage?

- Murray
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Platinum plus from brazil from walgreens. Technically since they are made in the early 90s according to date codes, they are vintage. neener. Wilkinson sword were made last year in Germany.

The only Wilkinson vintage ive used were English made in the late 80s. Slightly better then the crap VDH sells

I cant measure thickness, im going to stiffness and spring. Gillette and platinum plus bend like wax paper. the Korean blade is as stiff as a 1953 Gillette blue blade
brothers

Post by brothers »

Interesting subject, maybe not as related to my own personal shaving experiences, but just in general. I've got a digital caliper and I'd like to measure my 7 favorite brands of blades for comparison purposes just because someone has suggested they're all different.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

they all are different. microscopically, but they are.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've measured the 7 brands of DE blades I use and here are the results.
My digital caliper from Harbour Freight only goes to 0.00 mm.
There's a strong possibility that a more accurate instrument and a much more qualified operator will obtain different readings. :D

1. Personna hospital use - .10
2. Kai - .09
3. Super Iridium - .09
4. Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus - .08
5. Gillette Platinum Plus (Brazilian) - .08
6. Gillette "Swede" - .09
7. Gillette Super Stainless "Spoiler" - .10
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the measurements, Gary.

Have you observed anything about the performance of these blades that would correspond to these variations in thickness?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

They all seem to consistently provide very good performance results for me. Presuming my measurements are even close to accurate, I'm going on a limb to declare one or two hundredths of a millimeter difference in thickness is of no discernible effect.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

nicodemus38 wrote:Ive always seen that the techs have always been regarded as being super mild razors that need multiple passes.

Unless its one of the fun raised flat bottom style.

I just got my heavy tech, and after a week of shaves, ive come to know that its as aggressive as my flare tip, and as nuts as my super adjustable set on 8
Just a couple of days ago I spotted a mint condition heavy handle Tech at an antique show with a posted asking price of $100. It was one of the copper/gold versions, and I admit it was a very handsome example. I believe it could have been bought for substantially less than the amount written on the little paper tag! :) I didn't even ask because I'm not investing money in a razor collection.
Gary

nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

well in the few weeks since I purchased mine, the ebay price of a cased heavy tech in above average condition has gone up to 50-70. Mine in immaculate/mint condition is near 80.
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

Is this a heavy tech. If it is I'd like to sell it
Attachments
20160625_153900.jpg
20160625_153900.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3002 times
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

yes greg that's a heavy tech. Since you just got it this week. why theheck would you want to get rid of it. cant be more aggressive then your red tip..