supermax blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
lunfardi

supermax blades

Post by lunfardi »

has anyone ever heard of the supermax double edge safety razors? theyre supposedly made in sweden and are cheap! bic also makes them but theyre made in france. would anyone happen to know from what country of origin the best double edge safety razors come from? germany, france, united kingdom, japan, russia, ect..................... ????? anyone?
CMur12

Re: supermax blades

Post by CMur12 »

When you say "razors," do you mean blades? A safety razor or razor is an apparatus that holds the blade so that you can shave with it. A DE/safety razor consists of a dome (or silo doors), a bed, and a handle. The dome and bed together are the head. This became somewhat confusing with the advent of the cartridge razor, as the cartridge = the head and what you have left is the handle. So without the cartridge head, you don't really have a complete razor anymore.

Supermax blades are made in India and they come in several different types/designations. I don't know anything about the company making razors.

In the case of Bic, the parent company is in France, but the blades are made in Greece.

As far as the country of origin of the best blades today, that will depend upon personal preference. Interestingly enough, though some of the finest straight razors come out of Germany, DE and Injector blades made there haven't been held in very high regard. Excellent blades are now coming out of Russia, India, Pakistan, Japan, Korea, Brazil, and possibly Thailand, Viet Nam, and other places. Some blades are pretty universally liked, some are universally disliked (relatively few), and many are loved or hated, depending upon the individual shaver.

- Murray
lunfardi

Post by lunfardi »

yes blades sorry. rsvp.
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I've used blades made everywhere -- some I liked better than others. Of course, I hoped to find some common denominator among the ones I liked, thereby making it easier to predict how other blades would work for me. I can't claim to have had much success with this ongoing quest, but one thing I've discovered is that, for my beard, almost any blade made in Russia with some sort of coating will make me happy.

The Astra SP are good, and the Polsilver SI also. I haven't tried Supermax, but the Gillette 7 o'clock blades in the black package are made in India, and I liked them pretty well. It is often recommended that people new to double edge safety razors buy a sample pack of different blades. These samplers are easily found on the internet -- tryablade.com is a very good source.
Last edited by BiffBuff on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
disengage
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've used the Supermax SuperPlatinums and they're a very nice blade, they're sharp and smooth. IMO, they are among the very best. But lunfardi, blades that I like you might not like, aka YMMV.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Just to clarify, Supermax blades are made in India.

I used them when I first started out DE shaving as they were available at a local store, but I was never particularly fond of them.

There really is no *best* in wet shaving, only what you prefer, and part of the journey is figuring that out. We all have our favourite razor, brush, soap/cream, aftershave, blade etc. and it gets even worse for those of us who use straight razors.... myriads of hones, strops, vintage, new, custom....<sigh>... it just never ends it seems.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
BPman

Post by BPman »

BiffBuff wrote:...but the Gillette 7 o'clock blades in the black package are made in Egypt,...

No, they are made in India. Gillette makes no blades in Egypt. :wink: Super-Max blades are 'so so' IMO.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I liked the SuperMax Platinum blades, the Stainless ones less so.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29705

Of course those reviews are a bit dated.
Regards,
Squire
razorwhiz

Post by razorwhiz »

The Supermax blades are OK blades. I bought a 100 pack for around 8 bucks shipped from the USA. Ebay is your friend for inexpensive blades.