parker adjustable

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

parker adjustable

Post by nicodemus38 »

I have seen in the last day, news of a parker adjustable razor that will be released in September or October. All I saw was a link to a photo, a blurry photo, but it looked like a 3 piece.
BiffBuff

Re: parker adjustable

Post by BiffBuff »

A three-piece adjustable -- I can't wait to see it.
disengage
BPman

Post by BPman »

BiffBuff wrote:A three-piece adjustable -- I can't wait to see it.
I'm sure it's not a three piece:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD6Cf6Cl-6_/
brothers

Post by brothers »

Handsome, what I see of it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

it LOOKS like a 3 piece razor.

The handle looks an awful lot like an early Gillette tto combined with a 1904 single ring handle.

the head looks so much like a normal parker or merkur head.

Im actually interested in seeing one in the flesh.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Nigh unto impossible to make a 3 piece adjustable.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm pretty sure the Eclipse Red Ring is considered to be a 3 piece, and it is described in the factory supplied information as adjustable. Once tightened, the bottom knob is rotated counterclockwise (as if to disassemble the razor) in order to change the blade gap and angle. It seems to work.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the first adjustable razor patents actually are based on Gillette old types..... neener. They are just complicated as hell.
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

brothers wrote:I'm pretty sure the Eclipse Red Ring is considered to be a 3 piece, and it is described in the factory supplied information as adjustable. Once tightened, the bottom knob is rotated counterclockwise (as if to disassemble the razor) in order to change the blade gap and angle. It seems to work.
You are correct. I once had an early version of the red ring - it was silver not chrome plated and the magnetic tipped lead screw was not captive in the handle but came right out. It had the arrowhead and hash marks just like the later ones and there was a meaningful amount of adjustment.
Rick
BPman

Post by BPman »

Well, I stand corrected. I had never heard of this razor before:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread ... experience
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

Darwin had a 3 piece adjustable according to the advertisements I have seen. called the popular I THINK

now, the first adjustable patent I know of is from 1921-1923 and uses an internal device to control how much gap you have. very very cheap and easy to do.
Then there are some adjustable patents based on Gillette razors, pre 1931 that are quite similar in external appearance as they have springs and external adjuster dials.
The first tto patent I have seen is from Italy and uses a ranger tech as the base razor, and the adjuster mechanism module is probably 3-4 times the weight of the razor itself.

The issue is that Gillette was the first to realize that shaving comfort comes from keeping the blade curved the same throughout the adjustment range. the early patents did not notice that fact. And gillettes pamphlet for the oldtype did not either, that 1/8 turn to loosen the head turns the bloody razor to a devette.

From what little they show in that instagram photo, I am 99.9% sure they are using the patents that I have mentioned briefly

If you don't think a 3 piece can become an adjustable, please send me 300$ for tools and parts and ill make you one.