Razor size

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
nicodemus38

Razor size

Post by nicodemus38 »

Weight is personal preference with razors. A lot of people go out and purchase a 90 gram razor head, and say it cant shave well with out having a light weight 30 gram handle. Others will take a 20 gram head and claim it cant shave worth a damn unless it has a 300 gram custom handle attached.

With so many chunky razors on the market, Rocnel is first to mind. And an Arizona company I think, that makes open combs with an open comb top plate, being to heavy and bulky. What general size and bulk is even the median any more?

a travel tech gives a decent shave, you just need practice with it. And a full sized tech, slim handle tech will give the same quality shave if you have patience to learn it.
An old type and an early milady decolette are the same head, with different handle length. Balance is different as the travel tech example, but the same rules apply.

So do you have a weight/size/ bulkiness limit?
gregkw1

Re: Razor size

Post by gregkw1 »

Not for me. I use an adjustable pretty much exclusively. As a matter of fact I don't really even use a three-piece razor guess I'm a TTO kind of guy.
brothers

Re: Razor size

Post by brothers »

This is my prototype. In February of 2013 I decided to make a handle without any tools other than what I have on hand. I went to the hardware store and bought a 3/4 inch x 3 1/2 inch grade 5 zinc plated steel hex head bolt. I cut the head off with a hacksaw. Ground off a rough chamfer around the top to create a shoulder, marked the approximate center using my eyeball to find the center, used a center punch and then drilled a 5/32 inch hole about a half inch into the top. Then I used the 5mm x 0.80 high carbon steel plug tap to create threads inside the hole. I used the tap holder I found in my late father's old tool box to twist the tap in and out a number of times with some oil, to cut the threads. Then I screwed the Muhle R41 head onto the handle, and it's ready to use. As I say, this is a prototype that took me about 45 minutes to make. I just did it by hand and the bolt cost around $5.00 including tax. I can use other lengths and diameters of bolts, brass or stainless steel depending on what the hardware store has in stock, and I can do a better job of shaping the shoulder, etc.

Length of handle: 3 3/8 inches
Diameter of handle: 3/4 inch
Weight of handle: 6 ounces
Weight of handle with head: 7 ounces

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444