blades only!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
lunfardi

blades only!

Post by lunfardi »

ive been using my merkur razor since '95 and i just love it! just like mcdonalds! ive come to the conclusion about razors that only have the blade and no lubrication strip. they seem to work best only with foams and non lather shave gels for some reason! ive tried using razors that dont have lubrication strips with the conventional gels that are meant to be used with modern razors that do have lubrication strips like the gillette flexball and the performance is garbage! why would razors that dont have lubrication strips seem to almost only work best with foams and non lather shave gels? would someone who has been shaving for like a century please tell me why blades only razors work best only with foams and non lather shave gels? thank you.
ShadowsDad

Re: blades only!

Post by ShadowsDad »

Not a clue here. I use hard soaps, creams, and croaps with my blade only razors and the lather I make with those soaps works fine. I haven't used canned foam or gel in years.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
dwald

Post by dwald »

Years and years ago, I preferred Barbasol with single-blade Bics (with the white handle) and Edge gel with twin-blade Schicks (blue handle with the integrated, sliding blade guard). Atra cartridges came with and without the lubricating strips, and I frankly don't really remember what I used with either. I generally think the strips are too gunky.

I don't think there is much logic to it. :D
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I recall ripping the strips off.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

I use great shave soap that provides all the lube/glide I need. No need to depend on gimmickry. :wink: