Italian Barber Tech Clone

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Italian Barber Tech Clone

Post by BPman »

Looks like Italian Barber is introducing a Tech razor clone:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGZgqm3PGu1/

I like their business model in making superb razors for the common man while many others seem busy concentrating on the high end market. Obviously, more people are apt to spring for a $20 razor than one costing $100+. Count me in to get one of these when available. :wink:
razorwhiz

Re: Italian Barber Tech Clone

Post by razorwhiz »

I have a Gillette Tech & it gives me a nice smooth shave. I am glad they are coming out with a clone of this great Razor. I might pick one up if the reviews are positive.
razorwhiz

Post by razorwhiz »

They are going to be around 10 bucks. They stated the razor should be out about 7 days from now or less.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Talked to them today & it will be on their webpage this week!! =D>
BPman

Post by BPman »

FWIW, Italian Barber sent out another e-mail to their regular customers offering this new razor as a "freebie" for any order of $35+ that also includes a RazoRock shave soap in the order. Well, I swallowed the "hook" & I will give a report here after shaving with it.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I went for the same offer. My order shipped yesterday. I chose the Razorock P.160 soap. The Teck looks like it will be a nice razor that covers the blade tabs on the ends. There are so many new razors coming out, it's hard for my wallet to keep up with them. It really is the golden age of wet shaving!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Is the razor on the website for order?

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:Is the razor on the website for order?

- Murray
No, not yet.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the answer. I've been watching for it.

I'm thinking of getting one of their synthetic brushes, but I want to get a few items together before I make a purchase. The Tech clone is an item that I would like to get.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:Thanks for the answer. I've been watching for it.

I'm thinking of getting one of their synthetic brushes, but I want to get a few items together before I make a purchase. The Tech clone is an item that I would like to get.

- Murray
Now it is:

http://www.italianbarber.com/collection ... fety-razor

I should have mine tomorrow.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, BPman. Now I can make my order!

- Murray
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Wow that's a great price! I've received mine, and I will shave with it tomorrow AM. The handle is nice, and reminds me of an EJ Chatsworth. The head looks like it has great quality control and is nicely plated in chrome.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's a beauty, and the price is a no-brainer. I'll be eager to read the opinions of those who get one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

Mine is slated to be here tomorrow so I will do a PM shave if so. Color me curious. :)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I put in my order, so, while I wait for mine to arrive, I'll be looking forward to your impressions, Tucker and BPman.

- Murray
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Well I had a go with the Razorock Teck II with my favorite blade, a Polsivler SI. I used a Razorock 22mm Synthetic Brush and their P.160 Soft Italian Shaving Soap which is very similar to Cella with a lighter scent. The Teck II head looks somewhat reminiscent of a later Gillette Tech, but this is a different animal with different design elements. The blade tabs are concealed on the ends. It has somewhat minimal blade exposure with a moderate blade gap. I did my normal two pass shave (North to South) with touch ups, as I am an ingrown hair suffer. The razor was very smooth with an intuitive blade angle. I would describe the agression as moderate. I would not describe the razor as aggressive or mild, but right in the middle. It removed my two-day growth with aplomb. I think this would make a great razor for a newbie. I like this head style a lot better than the Merkur Heads or the "DE89's" that I've tried which include a Polished Head Weber, EJ, Muhle, and Maggard V2. I choked up on the long handle, and it lends itself to that with a narrow neck. The handle was a little slippery, but not a bad choice for the head. The balance was decent, and the chrome plating was flawless throughout. I think that I will try another favorite blade, Feather, next time to see how that performs. I don't really know what other razors to compare this one to. I don't find that it shaves like a Gillette Tech. It is a very well executed design in its own right. All in all, I would give this five stars of five.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Tucker wrote:Well I had a go with the Razorock Teck II with my favorite blade, a Polsivler SI. I used a Razorock 22mm Synthetic Brush and their P.160 Soft Italian Shaving Soap which is very similar to Cella with a lighter scent. The Teck II head looks somewhat reminiscent of a later Gillette Tech, but this is a different animal with different design elements. The blade tabs are concealed on the ends. It has somewhat minimal blade exposure with a moderate blade gap. I did my normal two pass shave (North to South) with touch ups, as I am an ingrown hair suffer. The razor was very smooth with an intuitive blade angle. I would describe the agression as moderate. I would not describe the razor as aggressive or mild, but right in the middle. It removed my two-day growth with aplomb. I think this would make a great razor for a newbie. I like this head style a lot better than the Merkur Heads or the "DE89's" that I've tried which include a Polished Head Weber, EJ, Muhle, and Maggard V2. I choked up on the long handle, and it lends itself to that with a narrow neck. The handle was a little slippery, but not a bad choice for the head. The balance was decent, and the chrome plating was flawless throughout. I think that I will try another favorite blade, Feather, next time to see how that performs. I don't really know what other razors to compare this one to. I don't find that it shaves like a Gillette Tech. It is a very well executed design in its own right. All in all, I would give this five stars of five.
MIne came & I also used it today. To be objective, I used a new Astra SP with Arko soap as those are two of the most common benchmarks in DE shaving. The shave was fantastic and to be frank I think it would be even better with a top tier blade. You could do a Helluva lot worse for $10 U.S. Very heavy handle and nary a flaw anywhere on the entire razor. Yes, it's a Zamak head obviously. I will "wring" it out this week.

As Tucker said, It's a winner!! I just want to add that IMO I think I can make this lil' puppy work better with a better blade more to my liking. Nothing against Astra SP as it's a fine blade, but there are better ones for my mug. I will add this comment that is purely subjective & could change soon. That is that I thought this razor seemed a frog hair more aggressive than a pre-war USA Tech and perhaps closer to my beloved pre-war Canadian Tech. Of course, with one shave in the jury is still out.

In conclusion, if you are a Tech lover then run, don't walk, to buy this razor!! :D :wink:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

This is sounding a little more aggressive than I may like. Admittedly, the post-War Tech is too mild. But the pre-War Tech (the one with the triangular holes, right?) is a bit aggressive and rough for me. From the impressions here, I'm guessing that this is more comparable to an EJ/Muehle, which I find too aggressive. I'll have to see when I get mine.

I'm not thrilled by the look of the handle, but I'll have to try it to see how it handles in real life. I have other handles, typically more to my liking, that I could use with this razor.

I also ordered the Quck-Change DE Safety Razor, advertised on the Italian Barber website as mild, so I look forward to trying it, as well.

Thanks for the impressions, Tucker and BPman!

- Murray
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

I think I'll wait till gillette makes a new adjustable. I usually don't go past #3 so this razor is probably to medium for me
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, if you decide to let the handle go, I'll buy it from you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444