Gillette Guard vs. Bic Normal for travel

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tucker

Gillette Guard vs. Bic Normal for travel

Post by Tucker »

Today, I was short on time, so instead of using my ATT M1, I reached for a Gillette Guard. I used Trader Joe's Honey Mango Brushless Shave Cream which is a great value and provided a lot of lubricity yet wipes off clean with a wash cloth. The Gillette Guard delivers an acceptable shave, but not quite BBS for me. It makes a great travel razor for domestic travel with carry-on luggage. Other good choices for carry-on travel razors include the Bic Sensitive and the Bic Normal single blade disposables. The ubiquitous Bic Sensitives tend to nick me, so I prefer the Bic Normal which is only marketed in Europe. Like the Gillette Guard, I get mine on Ebay or Amazon. The Bic Normal delivers a BBS Shave, but I can only get two uses out of it before it starts to nick. The Gillette Guard cartridges tend to last me twice as long for four decent shaves.
pausted

Re: Gillette Guard vs. Bic Normal for travel

Post by pausted »

A friend recently gave me a Gillette Guard and I too got four nice shaves from it. The only thing that keeps me from buying more of them is that I have a big supply of BIC Sensitives. I use the Bics for travel and like them a lot. Never got a nick and get an acceptable shave with brushless creams. Not as good as a DE and brush, but acceptable.
Best regards,

Basil
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am now using a Guard regularly. For me, on the first shave of the razor I can get to bbs with a lot of polishing. After that, it's just close. I do like the handle that fits my hands so well and doesn't rotate or slip into a bad geometry. I think it is just as good as my Schick hydro5 and a lot cheaper, but it doesn't last near as long, so it is probably a wash.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BPman

Post by BPman »

Before I started DE shaving in 2013 I used the Guard and IMO it's the best disposable available. I keep two now in reserve with extra heads as I know one day soon Miss Universe will call and want me to overnight with her. Best be prepared. :lol: :P :wink:
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

To BPman -

I think Don Quixote said it best in his song performed by Frank Sinatra --
'TO DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM"

Can you hear the song in your head?
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I'm a fan of the Gillette Guard, but I can't quite get to BBS with it. I get a very socially acceptable shave out of it. It is an interesting piece of shaving technology with the open comb, single blade, and pivoting head. Apparently, one of the design criteria was its ease of rinsing, as there isn't an abundance of running water in India. Indian men don't always shave daily, so it is analogous to the early Gillette Open Comb Razors for rural men in the depression era United States, and the "Saturday Bath." There are some deals on Ebay for replacement carts from India sellers.

Yesterday, I tried a shave with a new Bic Sensitive, and while it was BBS, I got a couple of nicks under my lip on my chin. I prefer the Bic Normal which isn't available in stores here in America. I can get a disposable Bic Normal and a Gillette Gurad cart both for around $0.30 cents, but again the Bic lasts me half as long.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Tucker wrote:...I prefer the Bic Normal which isn't available in stores here in America...
There's a quick shop close to me run by foreigners who sell every knick knack known to mankind therein and I saw a bag of the regular Bic razors there recently.