Above The Tie M1 vs R1

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tucker

Above The Tie M1 vs R1

Post by Tucker »

I couldn't leave well enough alone after acquiring a Above The Tie M1 Head, so I went ahead and acquired the R1 Base Plate. The M1 has delivered mild, but smooth BBS shaves with Polsivler S.I. and Feather Blades. For my first go with the R1, I decided to go with a mild blade. I went with a Personna Lab Blue. Unfortunately, it was not a good fit, and the razor skipped all over my face. I still managed to get a good shave, ,but it was not nearly as smooth as the M1. I next tried a Astra Superior Platinum, and the R1 suddenly became very smooth, but I noticed that there was stubble remaining after the shave. Today, I threw a Polsilver S.I. in the R1, and got the smooth BBS results that I am looking for. However, or the two, I still prefer the M1 with a Feather. I'll have to try a Personna Med Prep next time with the R1 to see if it is smoother than the Lab Blue. I fall into the camp that believes that they are two very different blades.

I would categorize the M1 as the agressiveness of a Regular Gillette Superspeed or Slim Handle set on 3. I'd put the R1 in the category or a Red Tip Superspeed or a Slim Handle set on 5.
CMur12

Re: Above The Tie M1 vs R1

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the report, Tucker, and thanks for comparing the level of aggression of the M1 and R1 heads with known quantities.

Interesting that the more aggressive head would skip. This razor with the M1 head is sounding more appealing all the time.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

Tucker wrote:...I fall into the camp that believes that they are two very different blades...
But they're not. Personna has told me, and countless others, in e-mail inquiries that they are the exact same blade with the only difference being the Med Preps getting a sanitization at the end. As well, there are beacoup shaving reviews on many forums where in a SxS test they shave the same. Finally, they make no "barber' grade blades either. The blades sold at Sally's Beauty are the exact same as the Blue. Only the ones they make in Israel are different.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I recall someone showing magnified images of the Med Prep and Lab Tech blades, and they looked decidedly different. And, of course, there are wetshavers who insist that they experience a difference between the two. Manufacturers, for that matter, don't always provide accurate information. I don't know what to think, as I have only used the Med Preps, but I'm not convinced that we have arrived at the irrefutable truth.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

A little off topic, but I've got enough hospital use Personnas to last me about 50 years, in rotation with my other blades. :D All I know is they work for me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:A little off topic, but I've got enough hospital use Personnas to last me about 50 years, in rotation with my other blades. :D All I know is they work for me.
I do, too, Gary. I bought 500 of them and they're among my top blades. Overall, I think I have over 3000 DE blades in my stash, plus a few hundred Injector and SE blades.

- Murray