Found at an estate sale

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Found at an estate sale

Post by brothers »

Today I picked up a 1951 Tech and a 1956 Red Tip at an estate sale. They both cleaned up very well. I think I'll use each one now to remind myself how they shave. When I find razors at estate sales I always try to envision the owners. Someone has used these razors for decades through thick and thin, good and bad, and they have a lot of someone's memories stored away where no one will ever know them. When I use these old razors I try to imagine myself as a representative of the original owner who'll never get to use them again. I took some pictures and might find time to post them here soon.

Edit: These are Super Speed razors and not Techs.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Found at an estate sale

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gary -

For some reason I can't imagine you being happy with a Tech. It's really mild and you seem to like more aggressive razors. (It's from my birth year, though, so that's cool. What quarter?)

We used to consider the Red Tip on the aggressive side, though I think there has been a shift towards more aggressive razors since then.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's a W1. The red tip is B2.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

That's an interesting perspective, Gary. They really are "dead men's razors." LOL. We had a ghost experience in the house in 2008 that I attribute to a razor that I brought home. Our Alpha Male Cat was freaked out all over the house, and he doesn't scare easily.

However, I really enjoy cleaning up vintage razors found in the wild. So many of them that I find have been dropped through the years, and have a bent guard or the TTO mechanism has a flaw in it. I used to carry a Dorco DE Blade in my wallet to put in vintage razors that I came across to check for symmetry. I found out the hard way that TSA frowns on that practice!
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning's shave with the 1951 Super Speed loaded with a Gillette Super Stainless Spoiler was just fine. The end product was a superb shave. I'm glad I decided to use this old razor today. Here are some pictures.

Last edited by brothers on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Ha! These are obviously SuperSpeeds and not Techs. I have made this mistake several times, and I do apologize! #-o
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:Hi Gary -

For some reason I can't imagine you being happy with a Tech. It's really mild and you seem to like more aggressive razors. (It's from my birth year, though, so that's cool. What quarter?)

We used to consider the Red Tip on the aggressive side, though I think there has been a shift towards more aggressive razors since then.

- Murray
Murray, the triangle hole base plate tech I have (my dad's razor) is too aggressive. This was changed to a redesigned base plate with rectangular holes soon after it was initially sold. Sorry to have mis-identified these superspeeds as techs.
Gary