It's all about the blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

It's all about the blade

Post by brothers »

Maintaining the cutting edge of straight razors seems to have become a bit of a work-intensive task that once was something I looked forward to. Maybe this is just a passing phase, or maybe it's just a reflection of the reality of the disposable blade attraction of safety razors. I think it's the latter. I love all of my straight razors --- but --- I haven't used any of them in several months. I've got some great stones and strops --- and --- the spectre of dragging out all of that stuff and spending a few hours working on razors is my most common area of procrastination. Just facing facts. I love knowing how to create a wicked sharp straight razor but I'm tired/bored/distracted/unenthusiastic. BUT!!! Best of all, I still experience an outstanding close and smooth shave each and every day of the year! Tossing a worn safety razor blade and replacing it with a new one takes less than 30 seconds. I hope this is temporary, but months have come and gone and I haven't felt a return to that old passion yet . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: It's all about the blade

Post by fallingwickets »

agree....blade before all else :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I have never used a straight razor because I don't trust my right hand to make the right moves; the closest I've ever come is a Rolls Razor. It's basically a segment of straight razor on a stick. I love the shave from one, but stopped precisely for the reasons you write. It's easier to use disposable blades.

For a sort of "straight razor" or Rolls Razor shave built 2 SEvettes, but a DEvette could also be made (I think). A SEvette is a SE razor minus the comb. The corners of the comb area are kept to protect from slicing skin on the 90°corner of the blade. The result is a "straight in a stick". I made 2 one from a 1912, the other from a GEM OCMM, and the latter is my favorite.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
owenm

Post by owenm »

Since starting a job a couple of years with a longish commute I've gone back to the safety razor for speed (one and done) in the mornings and just shave with the straight on the weekends. I only hone a couple of times a year now - I'm happy enough with this approach.
Cheers,
Owen
BPman

Post by BPman »

I view using & maintaining a straight razor as like crapping in an outhouse, chopping wood with an axe or drawing water from a well. Tasks best left to childhood memories rather than modern habits. :wink:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For me the open razor was part of the ritual, an early morning interlude before a hectic day. My days a still full but no longer hectic though I am more aware of how my time is spent, so, use a less demanding shave tool.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I view using & maintaining a straight razor

but ex all of that,it is all about the blade no matter what the device it is attached to. straight, de, twin, triple, quad, 20 blades on a toothpick (thats gillette 2065...i checked my crystal ball 3 times!).

No matter the cream, soap, brush, handle, head etc etc.....the blade makes the shave. Brilliant post gary

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum