When can I start making my own collection of razors?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
thefanofsafetyrazors

When can I start making my own collection of razors?

Post by thefanofsafetyrazors »

I know I'm new to shaving and all that but when would be a great time to start my own collection? I am really interested in starting my own collection someday. Because I am very passionate about shaving, and I really do enjoy razors (I think they're unique tools).
brothers

Re: When can I start making my own collection of razors?

Post by brothers »

Start any time. Your first collector item is the Krona. Have fun! :) Seriously, take it very slowly. Is there some urgency about it? What's the hurry? What specifically (other than just "razors") are you looking for?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
thefanofsafetyrazors

Are you asking me which kind of razors I'm intending to collect? If so, I aim to collect safety and straight razors. Not too much, just enough around 10 to 15 to make me happy knowing I'm a razor collector. I have one safety razor and that's the classic Schick Krona. Even though I haven't shaved with it yet, I'm already loving it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Speaking only for myself, I have a few razors that I specifically educated myself on from reading forum posts and discussions with the guys who know the details of these razors that make me want to get one for myself. Then the fun begins --- the search, the hunt. Then there's the part about pursuing and finally getting the one I had my eye on. There's what collecting means to me. If there's one that someone else happens to be hunting, It can be expensive, almost always, unless I happen to stumble onto a rare hidden treasure before the other guys.

Edit: The thought occurs to me that we are operating from 2 distinct definitions of the term "collection". If you are simply hoping to obtain an assortment of several different razors, I think it would be quite easy for you to accomplish it pretty quickly. It won't take long and not much effort to start buying pretty much "on sight" until you have an assortment. Notice I didn't mention money. It can be expensive, and perhaps even wasteful and costly if one buys impulsively without giving much thought to quality or market price before buying. This isn't really what I call collecting. More like gathering, accumulating, or (worse) --- hoarding. :) I know this happens all too often when it comes to razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I didn't start out with the idea of collecting, but I would have to say that I now have a "collection." :)

I mainly looked for good examples of the more common, latest evolutions of Gillette DEs, picking up a couple of other interesting razors along the way. The original intent was to try different razors to find what worked best for me, but I kept them all.

When I first came here, almost ten years ago, there were two main camps of DE users: The Merkur camp, who used current production razors, and the vintage camp, who used vintage Gillettes, Schicks, and such. At that time, Merkur was about the only company making new DE razors. Since then, a lot of new DE razor production has sprung up and the market for vintage razors, especially user-grade examples thereof, has largely collapsed. At the same time, collector-grade razors have gone way up in price.

Try posting a WTB (want to buy) in the Selling & Trading forum for the models you seek. Older members, especially, probably have some of these older razors around that they no longer use.

- Murray
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

If you're going to start collecting double edge razors your going to have to get the boxes and the blades and put together matching sets. otherwise you really won't be a happy collector. If you're really serious about collecting vintage razors I put together sets to the best of my ability. let me know what you're looking for and I will be glad to help you put together a great collection. Greg.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

If you have been reading from this forum for 10 years, you know all the members' favorites. So I am not sure what you are asking. You also know there are DE purists and str8 purists as well as those that also like certain disposables.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Don't forget Single Edge razors.

You can start collecting anytime you wish, but bear in mind that there's a difference between collecting to collect and collecting to use. At least initially you should stay with one razor for quite some time otherwise you won't know what effect was you and what was the razor (or soap, or blade, yada, yada). One change at a time, no more, and at least at first you'll have enough to do just to make good lather. Making lather can be practiced without shaving BTW. I made and put down the drain much lather when I was learning. I recognized it as being that which was protecting my skin from the extremely sharp blade.

I began with 4 razors that I had acquired over the years. One was my first razor that I bought as a teenager in '69/'70. Despite having 4 razors I only used a SE razor (a GEM featherweight) that I have no recollection of every having acquired. S used that until I had technique absolutely nailed down. That took possibly 2 months. But at that point I knew what effect various changes made to my shave. Then I used the black handled Gillette I'd bought decades before and learned what I needed to from that razor. After that it was a Valet Autostrop. I know it was at least 6 months and possibly up to a year before I even considered buying another razor. When I did it was just to get accustomed to aggressive razors and it was a Gillette Slim adjustable that I got. When I was able to put it on magical "9", shave, and survive, I pretty much knew that I absolutely had technique nailed down perfectly. :) But my technique is even better today. But my point is to start slow, USING just one razor. You might have a collection of 50 razors, but to learn just use one.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
thefanofsafetyrazors

To be clear, I'd like to collect SE, DE, and straight razors. Also the razors ranging from 1950's to 1999's. I saw pictures of the razors from those times and I am VERY hungry to add those kinds to my collection. Not to use, but just to have because I honestly think they look cool. Anyone here who is willing to help me get started with a collection is more than welcome to. :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jonathan, that's what I like to hear! If you've got plenty of money, I've got a bunch of razors I'll be glad to sell you. How many do you want? :D
Gary

thefanofsafetyrazors

That's great that you're willing to sell me some, but at the moment I don't have any money nor my own credit or debit card. I think it's best we wait until I get my own debit or credit card.
brothers

Post by brothers »

A man of no means of support shouldn't be collecting razors Jonathan. Over on TSN a few days ago you posted that you already have a Gillette. That was before you had your "first razor" the Krona. What Gillette do you have? Does this mean you have two razors now? :D
Last edited by brothers on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

thefanofsafetyrazors

Yes, I have a Gillette but it's a crappy cartridge. It's a Fusion model. I'd like to get the vintage DE Gillette models. I just think they're way better.
thefanofsafetyrazors

@brothers Are you saying I can't collect my own razors for my collection? If so, just let me simply say I will if I want to. No hard feelings. :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

No hard feelings. I'm just sayin' --- :D
Gary

thefanofsafetyrazors

Just sayin' what?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

He was stating wisdom collected over the years.

Do NOT put yourself in debt for something like a razor collection. That's beyond foolish money handling and something that none of us would ever think of doing. A razor collection is something that's acquired after all of the bills are paid, food is put on the table, and some $ has been put into savings or the 401k. Then if $ is left over, and only then, is it put into something like a razor collection.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gentlemen, we are being trolled. This has got this member banned at DFS and TSN, and it seems it went down the same way there. Ask for razors, endlessly. Maybe you get to buy them back from the 'Bay. Last warning for the OP: shape up or ship out. No further warnings will be given.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I was waiting for that. I suspected the same.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
thefanofsafetyrazors

Don't worry guys, I'll try and be more careful here. I never wanted to be looked upon as a troll. Really. I never wanted to. But on DFS, another member was attacking me. The member's profile picture had Jack Nicholson's joker on it.