Cream or Soap?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
thefanofsafetyrazors

Cream or Soap?

Post by thefanofsafetyrazors »

It's been at least four days since I got my Shick Krona DE safety razor in the mail. I haven't used it yet because I'm a little nervous to use it. My simple question is this: Should I use cream or soap to shave with it? Thanks.
ShadowsDad

Re: Cream or Soap?

Post by ShadowsDad »

Cream is soap in a different form, so yes you should and I would suggest it. There's plenty of information regarding both on the forum and you have access to the archives. I would pay particular attention to "lather problems" when doing a search.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I think demonstrations via video are extremely helpful. In our SMF University forum, we have a stickied thread at the top called "Useful Videos:"

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=36322

Mantic's website, with blog, equipment tests, and instructional videos can also be found at http://www.sharpologist.com

As far as cream vs soap, I use soaps exclusively, so I can't speak to the merits of creams. Some feel that creams are a little easier to learn, however.

Good luck!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

We don't know what cream you have, but it's only the first of thousands, so no biggie. Just use the cream and go for it. Good luck!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
thefanofsafetyrazors

Post by thefanofsafetyrazors »

I have Barbasol cream and Soap Commander.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Barbasol doesn't need a brush and the Soap Commander does. In my personal opinion, I'd say go with the Barbasol. There'll be thousands of days ahead for you to tackle the brush. Why make your first DE shave just that much more complicated?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444