New Derby Premium Blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

New Derby Premium Blade

Post by BPman »

Slated to be out in the Fall. I know nothing more so don't ask:
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (648.49 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
brothers

Re: New Derby Premium Blade

Post by brothers »

Now that you've probably been able to get some and try them out, what do you think of this blade?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Well, I sort of had to put my straights down to try them..... Not really a fair test, as I'm so used to my straights, but I have had 3 shaves using my Merkur HD and I find them quite sharp over the terrible stuff they have been selling the past few years. If we go back to when I started using the regular Derby blade in 2007 or 2008, I though they were wonderful blades. Not quite as sharp as some, but sharper than others and quite smooth. They would last 4 or 5 shaves for me. Then the new Derby blades came along (the lack of Derby in the circle on the back of the plastic package was the givaway) and they were dreadful.... dull, harsh... did I mention dull and harsh?

So this new Premium was my hope that they had gone back to doing whatever it was they did before and that is NOT what happened. The new blades are much sharper.... but I *think* I find them a bit harsh.... They appear to be knick prone. But, as I said, I'm only in with 3 shaves on the first blade and my hands are not used to the DE... a straight is a very different beast, and I'm more at home with them right now. And from my previous experience with DE's, even a pack can sometimes be off, with the next pack going back to wonderful.

I'll pass on a pack to my good friend who also enjoyed the OLD Derby blades, but these days mostly uses Feathers... however, his stock is running out. I'll post back when he's had a chance to try a few blades.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My son stocked up on the "old" Derby blades from several years back. He's still satisfied with them and still has several hundred left. A few weeks ago when I got a tuck of the new Derbys he asked me for one to try out. I asked him yesterday how it worked, and he tells me it was too sharp. It cut him and he still prefers his originals.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I had my 4th shave with the Premium and it was still quite sharp, but I'm finding it rough on the skin and it tends to cause nicks. Feathers are sharper, smoother and last longer.
Based on the feel after the 4th shave, I'll be replacing the blade before my next shave.

Yes, the old (more than 5 years ago) Derby's were quite smooth... I found their sharpness improved on the second shave, as if there was too much of a coating on the edge to start. The newer Derby blades are sharp, but they seem rough... causing irritation and nicks, much like your son discovered. I may look fine after a shave with one of those blades, but I won't go near my face with an alum block! The new Premium is more like the Feathers, nice and sharp, but there still is that *harshness* that leaves my face feeling a bit raw and causes me to leave the alum block alone.

If your son has a stock of the "old" derby blades, tell him to guard them with his life! I'd buy 10 cartons of them if I could!

The new Premium.... I've still only used one blade, so I'll not make any final judgement until I've gone through at least a pack or two.

Regards

Christian
pausted

Post by pausted »

Christian, I looked at Amazon and they are showing plenty of the old Derby Extra blades available if you want to stock up.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Back in 2009-2010 there arose some discussion here and elsewhere concerning the Derby blades. There was a question about some changes in packaging, and a number of guys in the discussion: Here's the link ---- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42775&p=495550&hili ... es#p495550
Gary

refinedshave

Post by refinedshave »

I've completed testing on the original green Derby Extra blades and what I found interested (that I am finding with all coated blades) is that they actually get a little sharper as you use them initially as the coating wears off. I shave my full head and face and found that I really only get one good shave out of the Derby Extra. I have a pack of the Derby Premiums and am very eager to try them to see how the sharpness and feel compares to the originals.
BPman

Post by BPman »

I tried the new Premium when it became available and didn't like it as it was too rough. The original shaves fine for me however. Go figure.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I promised I would report back (somewhere) and here it is.... the Derby Premium is still NOT what the original Derby blades were. They are OK in a pinch, but that is it. The ORIGINAL Derby Extra blades were wonderful.. sure, they didn't last long, but they were fine. As someone, somewhere, pointed out, they (the originals) seemed less sharp on the first shave and then they perked up for the next 3 or so shaves. After that, they died quickly. There seems to be much speculation on what was the "original" Derby blade. The green pack WITH the embossed Derby logo on the plastic package (backside) seems to be the "old" version that was in my opinion fine. It was replaced by a similar package that was devoid of any embossing on the logo side of the package, so in other words, no logo on tthe plastic case.

The new Derby Extra is not the old Derby blade... it's still inferior in my opinion, but better.

Regards

Christian
brothers

Post by brothers »

For their sake, I hope it works for them so they can sell some blades and stay in business. Good wishes!
Gary

malocchio

Post by malocchio »

The new Premiums worked fine for me , 6 smooth shaves, but I did find it is a blade that is razor finicky....Derby Extra is a blade I won't buy again..