SE razor problems

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

SE razor problems

Post by brothers »

Postby poppi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:05 am

Well, found out the there is a problem with the Feather Weight as it won't hold the blade in place. Not good! So I moved the blade to the Gem Jr and continued on resulting in a fine shave at the end. The first part sucked though. Not good to look at your blade and see half of it out of the razor at a 45 degree angle. Anyway, all is well now. Now go enjoy your day folks.
Poppi, I've experienced the same thing, and learned that many of the old SE razors from almost a hundred years ago have lost one or both of the little blade stops, rendering the razor nothing but trash. Unfortunately, many of those get sold and resold (instead of being discarded) due to either ignorance or dishonesty.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: SE razor problems

Post by ShadowsDad »

I bet it happened when rinsing. It really can't come out during the shave unless the spring that hold the cover down is bad. I have never seen one like that or heard of one with that condition.

You probably won't want to try this, but a SE razor missing blade stops is good to make a SEvette out of. Just remove the comb, keeping the very corners of it to protect the skin from the sharp corner. That turns it into a SEvette, a take off on the shavette which is a straight razor with a disposable blade.

If one isn't ready for a SEvette, then one simply isn't ready and I'm not trying to convince you to try one. Technique has to be perfect to pull it off.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
poppi

Re: SE razor problems

Post by poppi »

The blade stops are still there although barely. I think the spring holding the cap down is weak and let the blade slip. At any rate, the Feather Weight is on the shelf and will stay there.