Maggard's V3A DE Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
pausted

Maggard's V3A DE Razor

Post by pausted »

I received this razor from Maggard's yesterday and shaved with it this morning for the first time. On their website, Maggard's bills this razor as an aggressive closed comb head. It is made from plated zinc alloy. The plating is done in gunmetal gray and appears to be of high quality, especially at the price point of $9.95. I also added a Maggard's stainless MR11 handle for $14.00. The two look very nice together and the handle adds the right amount of weight to the razor. I certainly didn't need another handle but I wanted to try one of their stainless handles.

I loaded an Astra SS blade because it is a known quantity for me. I use them regularly. The blade gap is big and lots of exposure. I used careful, short strokes and NO PRESSURE. If you have a desire to check out your technique, this would be a good razor with which to do it. I did my normal two pass shave and ended up with the best and closest shave I have had in a while. This razor is not for a slap dash shave and it requires attention but it rewards you with a great shave. I would agree that it is aggressive but more importantly it is extremely efficient. I should add that there were no nicks, weepers, etc. My normal shave is with a Merkur 34 or EJDE89. This razor shaves closer than razors of those types. Finally, I should add that I have no connection with Maggards. I'm just a pleased customer.

Rather than trying to take poor phone pictures, I invite you to check out Maggard's site for good photos and a nice write up about the V3A head. I really like it and consider it to be $10.00 well spent. Check it out. You might like it.
Best regards,

Basil