Is/Was the Merkur Futur Made of Stainless Steel

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Ouchmychin

Is/Was the Merkur Futur Made of Stainless Steel

Post by Ouchmychin »

I regularly use a Merkur Futur that I bought several years ago. For some reason I am thinking that it was mad of stainless steel, but now all I can find about them is that they are chrome plated. Any old timers recall?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
kaptain_zero

Re: Is/Was the Merkur Futur Made of Stainless Steel

Post by kaptain_zero »

It's plated, either zinc or pot metal I'm afraid.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have two, bought years ago, one in gold plate which is peeling off, and one satin finished. The satin provides a better grip, although the gold looks nifty.
Incidentally, the Futur provides a shave which has one of the best trade-offs between closeness and skin preservation. I like an aggressive razor when I use a DE, and have generally used the Merkur slantbar for this, but even then it doesn't get close enough without all sorts of blade-buffing and that's no a very safe activity with a slant. I have three adjustables - a Fatboy/Executive that is still a pussy when opened as wide as it goes, a Vision which feels like shaving with a hammer, and the Futur. At a relatively benign setting of 3.5 it is easily shaving closer than the slantbar, and provided I remember to be careful about pressure it gives a very close and bloodless shave. I like it a lot.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I guess I better not use my Gold Futur too much then. :lol:
I also have the Satin one and I keep it on a setting of 2.5 but with a sharp blade. The duller blades tug too much with it.
The Futur gives me the closest shave with the least amount of irritation compared with my other razors.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My Futur (a gold plated one that's still unblemished) remains one of my favorite all time razors. The thing just works.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

When I use my Futur, I have to set it to 2 because I get careless on occasion and the Futur can nick of slice badly if I am not careful. I just polish away until I get close enough.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
tarikism

Post by tarikism »

I'm afraid it's not.
Here you are my futur :oops:
Attachments
Deutche Qualität
Deutche Qualität
merkur.jpg (37.37 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

As per various descriptions the Futur of it is made of brass, but some head parts could be casted from Zamak, and the entire razor is plated in satin matte, chrome, or gold.

My two Futurs (one at home, one overseas) are satin matte, which gives me a good grip at all times.
Unlike the picture shown in this thread, my two look like new after more than 12 years.

I suspect the Chinese clone that I received recently is most certainly all-Zamak, which explains the 25% lower weight when compared with the original, as Zamak density is 25% lower than brass.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell