Cobra "Knock-Offs."

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JRTASTER

Cobra "Knock-Offs."

Post by JRTASTER »

Really not fair title but any one ready to chime in on the new razors from Bull Goose and elsewhere which use the same single edge blade as the original Cobra razor (e.g., Kai Captain). I always found the Cobra tough to master... close shaves but at a price to my face.
So, anything to report ? Other than they appear to be REALLY expensive.
Thanks and regards to all.
John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
CMur12

Re: Cobra "Knock-Offs."

Post by CMur12 »

Hi John -

I stear clear of any razor with even the suggestion of an aggressive shave. As such, I have no experience with any of these razors.

I know that Phil/Bullgoose favors aggressive razors, himself, so I don't know how much that factors in to the razors he sells.

- Murray
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Thanks, Murray. For some reason, I thought someone, somewhere had suggested the new version was less aggressive, but considering the blade used maybe that's too much to expect.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I have the Chrome Hawk, and the Ikon El Jefe Blem. I don't have a lot of shaves in with either, but they seem to both be great. I am using the Feather Pro Guard Blade which seems to nick me on the fourth use. Others report many more uses of these AC Blades.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tucker, how would you rate these razors for aggressiveness of shave? Can you compare them to anything else more commonly familiar?

I would also be curious to hear from anyone about the difference that it makes to use the milder Kai blade in these razors.

- Murray
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Murray, to be fair, I have only used the Chrome Hawk for four shaves, and the Ikon "El Jefe" for one shave. The only blade variety that I have used is the Feather Pro Guard which has ribs along the blade edge that act as a buffer. I chose this blade variety, although more expensive, because I had heard on this forum that the regular Feather AC Blades can be somewhat harsh. I had followed Corey Greenberg's "Shaveblog" experience with the "Featherjector." I remember reading that although the shaves were good, they weren't sustainable long term meaning it was overly aggressive day in/ day out.

However, you are asking about the razors not the blades. I will give you my take after my very preliminary use. I really like the Razorock Hawk, it is lightweight, but efficient. I would describe it is on the mild side of aggressive. Maybe a 4 on a Gillette Slim, but it's hard to say. There were a couple of times on my neck where I felt that I had applied too much pressure, and it felt a bit harsh with no undue effects. I feel that if the blade hadn't been of the "guard" variety, I would have paid for it.

I only have one shave on the Ikon which is a "blemished" one that is selling for $20 plus shipping on the Ikon website. It is considered a blem because the blade has about 1/16th play in it with the posts and can stick out past the baseplate. However, with care, it can be finessed further back for a milder shave. I did get a weeper, and I find the Ikon a touch more aggressive than the Hawk after my very limited use of both. However, I will be buying another Ikon Head when they refine it some more. They are both beautiful razors that excel at plowing through multi-day stubble.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tucker, thank you for that detailed account of your experience so far!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Mongoose was the first big-time successful version of the Cobra. It came out about 2 years ago. There are lengthy threads here on SMF and elsewhere about the Mongoose.

I think Phil and Lee had a plan for their own version of the Cobra/Mongoose, it was going to be called Huntlee, but didn't see the light of day. About a year ago several of the stainless steel SE Feather/Kai blade razors appeared more or less simultaneously, as did ClassicShaving's updated version of the Cobra called the King Cobra.

Currently there are several more newly released brands of these types of SE razors on the market, for example - Phil's Asylum RX which is probably one of the best designed and built to date. Obviously the makers/sellers of the others will strongly disagree with my opinion, especially since I am not qualified to judge such elements, and have not used any of them. Other than Mongoose and Cobra, of course. :D

The Italian Barber/Razorock Hawk/Blackhawk being the least expensive of all at $20. Obviously I haven't bought or even used them all, but collectively the shaving forums are pretty much awash with many threads concerning them. I'm on a list somewhere to receive a pass-around of the Asylum RX. This will be an opportunity to use it before buying one for myself if I like how it works. The Hawk is perpetually sold out, and maybe I'll eventually catch up with that one, if I watch the B/S/T shaving forums.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Gary, do you have stainless Mongoose? How would you rate it against the Cobra? I would like to add that the Colonial Razors "The General" is available as well. I have one on the way.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tucker wrote:Gary, do you have stainless Mongoose? How would you rate it against the Cobra? I would like to add that the Colonial Razors "The General" is available as well. I have one on the way.
The stainless batch 2 Mongoose is more comfortable in use than the Cobra. I found the Cobra too harsh. I have read about the General. I'll be interested in your impressions its performance.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Well I had my second shave with the Ikon El Jefe Blemished. I used the Feather Pro Guard Blade for its second use. It is a moderately aggressive razor. I have some Feather Professional Blades on the way to try in the Colonial "The General" Razor which is supposed to be on the mild side. I will stick to the guarded blades in this Ikon until they come out with a regular production version. The blade exposure is finicky, and requires a lot of finessing to get the blade from sticking out too far pass the safety bar. I can't recommend the blemished version of this Ikon. I would save your money, and get the perfected head. It does have very pleasing lines.

Gary, I'll be sure to report back on my impressions of the Colonial General. I am eyeing a Stainless Mongoose head and the ATT SE1 head both of which sell for in the $140's. I'm also trying to resist the OneBlade Razor, which is going for $299 at the moment...soon to be $399. However, the smiling blade issues is my pretext to pass on it. I am wondering if they are redesigning the OneBlade to prevent the use of modified GEM Blades?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tucker wrote:Well I had my second shave with the Ikon El Jefe Blemished. I used the Feather Pro Guard Blade for its second use. It is a moderately aggressive razor. I have some Feather Professional Blades on the way to try in the Colonial "The General" Razor which is supposed to be on the mild side. I will stick to the guarded blades in this Ikon until they come out with a regular production version. The blade exposure is finicky, and requires a lot of finessing to get the blade from sticking out too far pass the safety bar. I can't recommend the blemished version of this Ikon. I would save your money, and get the perfected head. It does have very pleasing lines.

Gary, I'll be sure to report back on my impressions of the Colonial General. I am eyeing a Stainless Mongoose head and the ATT SE1 head both of which sell for in the $140's. I'm also trying to resist the OneBlade Razor, which is going for $299 at the moment...soon to be $399. However, the smiling blade issues is my pretext to pass on it. I am wondering if they are redesigning the OneBlade to prevent the use of modified GEM Blades?
Tucker, that's a very good question! I'm glad you thought of that. I almost bought one of the new OneBlade V2 razors yesterday but didn't go through with it, partly because of the issue with the Feather vs. Gem blades.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I have now read a post elsewhere showing a Gem installed in a V2 OneBlade, along with a statement from someone at OneBlade confirming Gems will fit, and they are aware that a lot of guys are using them. They also repeated that they recommend only the Feather.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:
Tucker wrote:Gary, do you have stainless Mongoose? How would you rate it against the Cobra? I would like to add that the Colonial Razors "The General" is available as well. I have one on the way.
The stainless batch 2 Mongoose is more comfortable in use than the Cobra. I found the Cobra too harsh. I have read about the General. I'll be interested in your impressions its performance.
This is a follow-up on the General. As posted here and elsewhere, I have been using the General SE razor for more than 6 months on a daily basis. In my personal experience - others will form their own opinions - the General allows the Feather and Kai blades to do what they do best (cut whiskers efficiently) while leaving the face without the customary irritation that users have associated with the Feather and Kai blades in other razors that have been inspired by the Cobra. For me, the General is a breakthrough in safety razor evolution, suited to daily use without any discernable skin thinning or irritation.
Gary

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I don't know if this would be of any use or help to anyone but here's my two cents worth. I bought the second Cobra Classic that was ever sold by Classic Shaving when they were located in North Palm Springs. They showed it to me when I stopped by one day and I bought it on the spot along with a pack of the pro blades. I've been using it ever since. To be sure, it's not for beginners unless you want to call 911. I would go on record as saying if you have not mastered the DE don't even think about shaving with the Cobra. Since I had several years experience shaving with a Str8 razor and many years with a DE and Schick Injectors I figured something "different" might be worth a try. I have never been disappointed with the performance a Cobra. It will shave the hair off a frog! Yes, it can be aggressive but it is all in the technique. I treat it like it was a Str8 with a different handle and it never fails to deliver a BBS shave.
Regards,
David