Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

The Colonial General Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

Re: The Colonial General Razor

Postby Tucker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:57 am

It really is a favorite razor of mine. So much so, that I purchased a second to keep at my parents house. Word is that brass and stainless versions are to follow. It is a very mild razor. If I had to find a criticism, it is that it is somewhat tuggy on a multi-day stubble, but if you have a 24 hour stubble it is sublime. I do prefer the Feather Pro's to the Kai Milds, but only by the slightest of margins. Both are great blades in the General.
Tucker

Postby brothers » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:35 pm

I have found that the General seems mild but with either a Feather Pro or Kai Captain blade even a 2 day (even 3 once) beard just melts away with a single pass ATG. Can't explain it, but the results are highly pleasing in my case.
Gary
brothers

Postby mlb549 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:42 am

I shave with SE's everyday. I tried the new 'fad' SE's and sold them all after about a dozen shaves each. I'll stick to all my 'antiques'----Gem, Star, Treet, Ever Ready, Autostrop----great shaves and I love the nostalgia! To each, his own!
Mike
mlb549

Postby drmoss_ca » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Well, you've intrigued me enough that I have ordered a brass razor. It says they are discontinued, but I don't mind plain brass. The lack of knurling on the handle is a bit disturbing, but I assume the thread on the head is compatible with the handle of any three-piece razor? It is not stated whether the razor is made for Feather AC Professional or Professional Super blades, but I have the impression that it
s the former (I hope so, having lots of them!)

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby brothers » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:45 pm

It is compatible with all standard threaded handles, and it does accept Feather Pro blades. I don't have any of the Super Pro Feathers, so I cannot comment.
Gary
brothers

Postby drmoss_ca » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm

The razor arrived today, and of course, I had to shave with it. It's a lot kinder to use than the Cobra, but still manages to leave a very smooth face. Now that was with a new blade, and I do tend to leave the blades in for about two weeks, so that might change as the blade blunts. I see it can take either a Professional or a Professional Super, but for the moment I'll stick with the Professional blades - any further exposure from a wider blade might well destroy the rather nice character of the shave I had today. It looks very elegant in brass, and is well-finished with no defects on the surface. The blade fits in nicely with no fuss, and the smooth handle actually didn't get slippery, but I did try to keep it dry. All in all, I am hopeful that this will be better for frequent use than the Cobra, which does a good job, but tends to make my skin a bit red and sore if I use it for several days in a row.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby brothers » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Mild but very efficient.
Gary
brothers

Previous

Return to Safety Razors & Blades