The Colonial General Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tucker

The Colonial General Razor

Post by Tucker »

I recently acquired the Colonial General Razor in Silver. I finally got around to shaving with it using a Feather Professional (unguarded) blade. This is my first time using this variety of blade. Previously, I exclusively used Feather Pro Guard Blades for a few shaves each in the RazoRock Chrome Hawk and the Ikon El Jefe Blemshed Head. The General is a mild razor and worked very well for me. It's is very intuitive, and the QC is exceptional. It reminds me of the "Standard" Razor with its raw aluminum finish. The handle was quite grippy even when wet. I would give it five stars out of five. Highly recommended if you like mild, but efficient razors. This could be a daily driver easily.

Previously, I had considered my Hawk and El Jefe SE's as multi-day growth razors for their aggressiveness with the Feather Pro Guard Blade. The Hawk also nicked me on it's fourth use, and I disgarded the blade after that. However, I think now with Feather AC Blades, I will used them 3 times, flip the blade over, and go for 3 more shaves. I am not a fan of flipping DE Blades between shaves, but these Feather AC Blades are very rigid. The other issue with the Ikon El Jefe, is that it seems the most prone to come unscrewed from the handle mid shave. To be fair though, I am not using an Ikon Handle, as Ikon recommends. The Feather AC Blades do not have the "spring" in them that a DE Blade does to really secure the head to the handle. I am coveting the Above The Tie SE1 razor, as I hear that it is mild as well. My pick of the three that I have tried is the General, but the Ikon is good looking, and the Hawk is no slouch either for the price point.
Tucker

Re: The Colonial General Razor

Post by Tucker »

Well I had my fourth shave with the Colonial General. I had flipped the Feather Pro Blade after the first three shaves. The fourth shave was just like the first three: no nicks, weepers, or irritation. It was just a good, intuitive shave. Other shavers report 7-10 shaves with Feather AC Blades. I am going to shoot for at least six. This razor is mild, but efficient. It excels on a 24 hour stubble, and one could use it daily. If I have a multi-day stubble, I will reach for my Razorock Hawk or Ikon El Jefe both with a Feather Pro Guard Blade. However, those two razors, I will only use on those occasions, as they are more aggressive and the guarded blades cost more. The Colonial General is my favorite of the bunch. I'm hesitating to get into the stainless Feather AC razors, such as the Above the Tie, and the Mongoose. There is something to be said for the lightness of an aluminum razor when it comes to using this blade type.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tucker, who sells the Colonial General razor?

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Murray, I believe they have a website. If you will Google "Colonial Shaving" I think you will find them.
Best regards,

Basil
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Murray, I got it from colonialrazors.com. They have black and silver. I went with silver, as I get hard water deposits on my razors. It is a mild shaver which I know is your preference. I think that you'd like it.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Tucker and Basil.

Yes, I have been reading with interest your description of this razor as mild.

- Murray
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I had my fifth shave tonight after work. It went just fine. Normally, blades tend to nick me as they start to degrade, but that hasn't' happened yet. I normally don't get very many shaves out of blades with the hard water we have. Typically, I only get 2-3 with a DE blade. This razor is quickly becoming a favorite. If I can get six drama free shaves, I will be a happy camper.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tucker, I'm amazed that you are getting mild shaves from a Feather Artist Club Pro blade! Do you think it could be too mild with the Kai blade?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I received an email from Colonial. They were/are? selling General heads only for $29. I should have mine in a few days. Looking forward to giving it a try. I was fortunate to participate in a pass-around of the Asylum RX razor over the past 4 days. Maybe it's just me, but the shave feels quite similar to the Cobra Classic. The heads look quite similar, even though they are designed differently. The workmanship of the Asylum RX is outstanding.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Murry, my apologies, as I missed your question late last month. I got six wonderful shaves with the Colonial General, and it is very mild with the Feather Pro Blades! I recently acquired some Kai Mild Blades from Amazon which shipped from Japan. I will try one in the General and report back their performance. I acquired the Kai Blades with the intention of trying them in the Hawk, as they are a little cheaper than Feather Pro Guard Blades which I use in the Hawk and El Jefe. Now, I have three SE razor and three SE blade choices, so it will be interesting to experiment. To be fair, both varieties of the Feather Blades work quite well for me, and Feather DE Blades work well for me in mild DE Razors too. I wasn't that impressed with Kai DE Blades when I tried them in the past, so I'll see how the Kai SE Blades perform for me.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Tucker. I can't use Feather DE blades even in the mildest razor, as they seem to remove a layer of skin without my even feeling it. Then, each successive shave, even skipping days between shaves, the razor burn gets worse and worse. This hasn't happened to me with any other blade.

- Murray
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Murray, I tired the General with a Kai Captain Mild Blade, and the shave went well. There was not a big discernable difference between the Kai Blade and the Feather Professional (unguarded) blade in this razor. I still got a great, drama-free shave, but it was ever so slightly not as sharp as the Feather. I will stick with Feather Pro's in this razor, as they are cheaper. I will try the Kai in the Razorock Hawk which is slightly more aggressive. It is nice to have options. Kai has a couple of other varieties that might be worth trying. Colonial Razors has the silver General in stock right now for anyone that is interested. I highly recommend it if you want to dip your toes into SE Shaving.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The General head arrived yesterday. Today's shave yielded a happy result. I used the BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle, which seems to be a nice match for this head. Here comes a dramatic-sounding statement: I believe i've found the best (for me) of the new SE breed of razors, all descendents of the Cobra Classic. It's easy to find the right angle of approach. I didn't suffer any cuts or nicks, which is quite common with the others. I prefer using this razor over the Cobra, Mongoose, and Hawk razors. I recently got into the habit of going against the grain (ATG), and this razor meets or exceeds my preferences and expectations. The $30 price tag is delightful. I'm using the Feather Pro blade primarily, but I have a couple of boxes of Kai Captain Titan blades I'll also use. Thanks to Colonial Razors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Tucker and Gary for the reports. I'm weakening to the idea of getting one of these. :oops:

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I loaded up a new Kai Captain Titan to replace the well-used Feather from yesterday, as it was feeling a little grippy. Face feel of the new Kai blade in the General was not at all harsh, unlike many others. Smooth, close, comfortable, no blood, no post shave irritation. Winner!
Gary

Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Gary is the Kai Captain Titan the Original or the Mild?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mild. 8)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The General has proven to deliver the close and smooth shave I've searched for, on a daily basis. Fortunately, the Feather Pro and the Kai Captain each deliver at least a dozen shaves.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

I finished shave #3 this morning with the General and a Kai Captain Mild blade. I'm getting great shaves with this combo. I believe these blades take wet shaving up to another level. When this blade wears out I'll try the Feather Pro in order to compare. I ordered a few blades from Try-A-Blade before laying in a supply.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

After 3 months of daily use, I love it.
Gary