Ideal DE razor blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Ideal DE razor blade

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, gang -

One of the chaps on this forum is experiencing some problems getting a smooth shave with his DE razor ... and from what I've learned of his technique so far, all seems OK. I have a sneaking suspicion the culprit may be the blade he's using. In your opinion, what's the best DE blade?

Charles
Q E D
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Merkur.
Wilkinson Sword is also good.

Chris
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

My vote goes to Merkur in this topic!!!

Vince
:::Vince:::
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i have only used merkur and cryoed personna. the personna tore up my face. and i can not find schick or i would try them. so, i am not gonna look that hard for them but i will reorder merkur when i place a big christmas order at emsplace or get them when i get soaps from ray or charles

sam
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Sorry to be late to the party Charles, but here's my two cents. After a month or so with Merkur SS DE, I figured that it was time to mess with what was beginning to be perfection. I tried a Feather SS DE :!:
Exercising extreme caution, after reading the many horror stories, I got a shave so close with my Vision and Vulfix Lavender Creme that I am in awe of the SMOOTH! Baby's-bottom smooth is nothing compared to these cheeks O:) ! It must be the blade.
V/R
Ron Guenther
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Charles, et.al., I don't think it's quite that simple, it depends; depends on one's level of experiance, skin sensitivity, and other factors. Alright! alright!, in purely objective terms, I think that the Feather Platinum is the 'best' blade currently made. It is incredibly sharp, and will outlast any other in terms of good shaves per blade. But, I would NOT consider it to be the best blade for a DE beginner. For that, I'd suggest Merkur. In an old Gillette, a Wilkinson is about as good, but in a Merkur, they can be a little much ( although as one can see above, Joel perfers the Wilkinson/Schicks ). So, for the last word in cutting effectiveness, Feather Platinum. For the less experianced, for the less fanatical, or for sensitive skin, Merkur. For the more economy minded, Wilkinson. Regards, Gordon
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

I was just curious if anyone had tried the Safeway brand DE blades. I'm sure they're just re-branding someone else's product, I'd be curious to know whose, but not sure how to find out. I don't have much to compare them with, but I'll be trying them out shortly.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Afternoon Gents,

Interesting how the same brand of blade works differently on us as individuals. Manufacturing standards are such that one would think we could agree on a ranking system but life is not so tidy. Even in daily use there can be variances in our individual shave results using the same brand blade because we do not shave exactly the same each time anymore than we can drive a golf ball straight down the fairway exacty the same at will.

One blade that has not been mentioned thus far is the Feather Hi-Stainless. I rank this one as equal to or slightly above the Merkur Platinum. Not a beginner blade, certainly, but one deserving of consideration and I believe it would be better known were it not so outshined by it's stablemate, the Feather Platinum.

I made an offer on another board that I'll repeat here. If anyone would like to try the Feather Hi-Stainless blades send me an sase and we will mail some back.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

does the feather platinum say platinum on the blade or just hi stainless. i have three samples blades and they dont indicate platinum on there

sam
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Sam,

The Hi-Stainless from Feather are different from the Platinum. The Hi-Stainless is what Feather packages with their razors and are not near as good as the Platinum.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

yes, but on the blade, how can i tell if what i have is platinum? it does not say so on the blade, either side

sam
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I have been trying the Feather Platinum and so far, compared to the Merkur, Wilkinson and Astra it is the sharpest blade I have tried. BUT that does not mean it gives the best shave. FOR ME I find that after using the Feather in my Vision, Slant and HD Classic Merkur razors I find that I get as close a shave with the Merkur and Wilkinson blades. Maybe I have to work a little harder with those but the shave is as close. I do find that I get more razor nicks with the Feather and in the Vision it is just too irritating for me. I will probably finish using them in my HD Classic razor as it seems to do the least damage there but as I prefer the slant and the Vision for getting a closer shave I will use a Merkur or Wilkinson blade with those razors.

Maybe the Feather Stainless is more like the Merkur/Wilkinson, I would have to give that a try.

Of course, YMMV.

Neal
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Evening Sam,

Both say Hi-Stainless on the blade and appear identical. Both are presented in the same plastic box/packet and the regular Hi-Stainless has a platinum cover (go figure) and the NEW Platinum has a yellow cover. Lacking a cover the only way to tell the difference is the Hi-Stainless is in a box of five while the Platinum is in a box of ten.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Evening Sam,

Both say Hi-Stainless on the blade and appear identical. Both are presented in the same plastic box/packet and the regular Hi-Stainless has a platinum cover (go figure) and the NEW Platinum has a yellow cover. Lacking a cover the only way to tell the difference is the Hi-Stainless is in a box of five while the Platinum is in a box of ten.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

good. i was told that i was sent the platinum and i was worried. but on me, i dont perceive the feather to be that much closer or sharper than a merkur. to me, the feather is a more flimsy, if that is the correct word, blade and merkus is harder to flex

sam
paulf

Post by paulf »

A few weeks ago I received an order from Classic Shaving with several packs of Feather Platinums and several packs of Merkurs. I started with Merkur''s a little over a year ago, and they worked pretty well for me. I had been using some blades I bought locally after I ran out of Merkurs, and then I put in a new Merkur in my Futur. The shave was about normal.

After a week I put in a Feather and the difference, at least for me, was extraordinary. The places where the Merkur always seemed to drag or pull were much smoother with the Feathers. The shaves seemed more comfortable and closer.

After a week I put another Merkur back in. I figured maybe the first one in the pack was a little rough or something, but this second blade seemed about like the first. I've used that blade for a week, so I'm going to put in another Feather tonight. If that blade performs like the first, I'm a convert. I only hope that the Feathers stay available.

As an introduction, I post occasionally on WetShavers on MSN. I just joined over hear to chime in on the blades. I use a Merkur Futur, a new Vulfix 2236, and Taylor creams and occasionally one of Em's soaps. I've been using a brush and DE for a little over a year.

Paul
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

Paul:

Keep in mind the lengevity of the Merkurs is less than the Feather. I get about four shaves from a Merkur and can go for seven with a Feather.

Joel:

Send me your Chico address and I'll send a few for you to try.

Chris
marktheshoeshineboy

Post by marktheshoeshineboy »

:D Several weeks ago, I took up squires offer and sent a SASE to try the feather blades...

He sent 5 blades and I am still comparing Feather, Merkur and Wilkinson....

Feather seems very very sharp and will nick easier than the Merkur...

Try them and see for yourself...

mark theshoeshineboy :lol:
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ok, this week coming, ill experiment. today i had a shave with an about-to-be-discarded merku in my vision. missed a lot of spots. so sunday, a feather goes into the slant bar i have (have not used a feather in the slant bar yet). if it gives a great shave, then i will know. i had a couple great shaves with the merkur in the slant bar.

sam
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I'm 44 & brand new to DE shaving. I use a Merkur HD and have just purchased a Gillette adjustable. I've only tried the feather blades and they are very sharp. I have just ordered some merkurs for comparison - but if you follow the advice of the experienced guru's on this site i.e go slowly, no pressure & follow Dr. Moss' guide - these blades are wonderful.

They, however, do not appear to be very tolerant if you rush or get cocky - as I have found out.