"What is it" question about a Rolls razor product

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
marcia-panych

"What is it" question about a Rolls razor product

Post by marcia-panych »

I inherited a early 20th century Rolls Razor sterling silver case with razor, strop, etc. Has the greek design on it. But I also found a small navy blue leather box with the Rolls insignia on it and inside are 5 slots each with a small blade resting in them. I'm guessing they're for a different Rolls Razor than the sterling silver box one.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?
CMur12

Re: "What is it" question about a Rolls razor product

Post by CMur12 »

I don't have an answer to your question, Marcia, but I welcome you to SMF!

- Murray
jar

Post by jar »

marcia-panych wrote:I inherited a early 20th century Rolls Razor sterling silver case with razor, strop, etc. Has the greek design on it. But I also found a small navy blue leather box with the Rolls insignia on it and inside are 5 slots each with a small blade resting in them. I'm guessing they're for a different Rolls Razor than the sterling silver box one.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?
IIRC that was meant to hold additional blades mostly for family use where one razor could be used by multiple people, each with their own blade. The handle and strop/hone could be shared by all. It is a versatile and economic system.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that this is what they call a "5 day set". Mostly associated with straight razors, and usually a 7 day set instead of 5. There is a separate slot for each day of the week, so that when all of the blades are freshly sharpened at the same time there will be a new blade for every day, so that the edges on the individual blades don't deteriorate as rapidly as would be expected if there was only one blade being used every day. This was something for the well-heeled gentlemen who could afford such a luxury.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think the Rolls is an interesting part of shaving history. Not a history I might want to repeat but interesting none the less.
Regards,
Squire
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

We're so used to disposable blades that the Rolls now seems especially out of place. On the other hand, some newer cars have been sporting 6-speed manual transmissions...