Ok, sold DE, now I need to start over

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPman

Re: Ok, sold DE, now I need to start over

Post by BPman »

jar wrote:...In the box I was talking about were three pre-war fat handle Techs. All the Techs I owned were post-war so it will be interesting to see if sizes and weights are similar and to compare the shaves from the pre-war and post-war fat handle techs...
Having owned/used damn near every Tech model I can ascertain absolutely no difference in shave quality. I even measured the blade gap on US made pre & post-war, Canadian pre-war, English "flat bottom", etc., and all were right at 0.025". They all shave the same to my face and I really think it's the best safety razor Gillette ever made. :wink:
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Ahh..the excitement of starting over!
I like all my current stuff but I miss the days of experimenting with new gear and finding what works and doesn't.
Hope you find the 'grail' again!
Rob
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

drmoss_ca wrote:There's always the Tatamagouche discount razor store, with special deals for admins! :D

C.

What's it got? I may decide to go back to straights. I was always worried about having the sharpest blade but now, heck, my mindset may be different. Heck I now have decent kitchen knives that I can keep sharp with the Spyderco sharpening system. I was using that table top strop with the pastes and doing a good job. And now I am not shaving in the shower
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

The straight razor is where you need to go indeed. (just don't go crazy buying volumes and volumes of steel)
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sam wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:There's always the Tatamagouche discount razor store, with special deals for admins! :D

C.

What's it got? I may decide to go back to straights. I was always worried about having the sharpest blade but now, heck, my mindset may be different. Heck I now have decent kitchen knives that I can keep sharp with the Spyderco sharpening system. I was using that table top strop with the pastes and doing a good job. And now I am not shaving in the shower
Pretty much anything you want! Straights of carbon, stainless, mass-produced, custom and damascus, DEs of standard heads, slant, and adjustable. Injectors old and new, fixed and adjustable. Brushes, strops and hones. I haven't got around to organising a general sell-off so I'm not breaking rules about advertising here. You get to pick what you want and make me an offer. Just let me know which category you want to explore and send a PM.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Weekly

Post by Weekly »

Sam wrote:I need a little bit more aggressive. Or least I think I do. I have Gray hair now in my beard and also attended to have to want to shave again at 5:00 if I was going to a party. Sure I'd like to try the Hawk. Of heard the Kai blades are pretty good
Sam if you want to try a more aggressive I can suggest with confidence the Qshave clone you can
Pick up one for under $10 US from Alibaba which is where I got mine a very safe site for online
Shaving products Purchases or on eBay or Amazon, it is a high quality razor at an unbeatable price ,
And just to try it out, won't break the bank..
Weekly

Post by Weekly »

Sam wrote:About a year ago, grew a beard and sold my DE and got a Harry's 4 blade razor. Nice, but I miss my DE. Shaved beard and now, after four to six uses, the Harry's blade pulls. A lot different from just using a razor to trim a bit versus a full face shave.

Now I have to research what new one to get. I even sold my Feather razors and loved how sharp they were so I now have to research that again. Will start a new thread. Not really looking at the $100 brushes. Dont know that I want to go Merkur particularly, and vintage Gillettes, I forgot all I used to know and well, from the little I have read, Ebay prices are out of whack

Saw a post about the Razorock Hawk. How about that or one of ItalianBarber's DE's?

Suggestions and website links appreciated
Try the Omega Pro 49 Boar's brush a Really great brush I paid $12 US , shipped from an Amazon
Vendor out of California , it is truly a high quality brush at a bargain price , I use it exclusively..
brothers

Post by brothers »

Weekly wrote:
Sam wrote:I need a little bit more aggressive. Or least I think I do. I have Gray hair now in my beard and also attended to have to want to shave again at 5:00 if I was going to a party. Sure I'd like to try the Hawk. Of heard the Kai blades are pretty good
Sam if you want to try a more aggressive I can suggest with confidence the Qshave clone you can
Pick up one for under $10 US from Alibaba which is where I got mine a very safe site for online
Shaving products Purchases or on eBay or Amazon, it is a high quality razor at an unbeatable price ,
And just to try it out, won't break the bank..
For less than ten bucks from China, I couldn't resist. Gotta have one of these bad boys. I'm going to experiment with trying to add some sort of rough surface to the handle, just for the absolute heck of it. It'll be a fun project. Here's the drawback to these little projects that I take on occasionally --- sometimes it costs more for the stuff that I'm going to use than the razor itself. It's a hobby and who doesn't expect to spend what it takes within reason to pursue a really cheap hobby?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444