Gillette flare tip vs black handle tip vs blue tip

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
chris1978

Gillette flare tip vs black handle tip vs blue tip

Post by chris1978 »

I've been using the Gillette Gold tech fat handle and Gillette blue tip super speed 1955 A-2 and they both good but I like the blue tip better. I'm doing ok my shaving. Now I'm concerned about these two super speed. How do you compare this regular super speed from 1954 to 1966 and black handle super speed from 1966 to 1988? Are they both mild as the blue tip or middle of the road between mild and aggressive? Little aggressive? I have thick beard and I only shave twice a week at night.

Right now I'm watching on ebay for Gillette Black Handle Super Speed 1976 W-2 and the condition of the razor is excellent and shiny but it has been used. Are the good for sensitive skin?

Do the super speed has the same head as the blue tip?

Chris
jar

Re: Gillette flare tip vs black handle tip vs blue tip

Post by jar »

I prefer my later '70 back handle SS to my early Flare and even my Aristocrat.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

The blue tip is the mildest of all the Superspeed razors. It has the narrowest blade gap and was marketed as a gentle mild razor. Probably my favorite of the SSs.
Rich
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

[quote="jar"]I prefer my later '70 back handle SS to my early Flare and even my Aristocrat.[/quote]

Jar What do you mean you prefer the 7o's black handle to regular super speed? Are they both has the same blade gap? Do the regular and black handle SS are both mild but how mild is it?

Chris
jar

Post by jar »

chris1978 wrote:
jar wrote:I prefer my later '70 back handle SS to my early Flare and even my Aristocrat.
Jar What do you mean you prefer the 7o's black handle to regular super speed? Are they both has the same blade gap? Do the regular and black handle SS are both mild but how mild is it?

Chris
It's a matter of head width I think more than blade gap. The 70s Super Speeds seem to fave a flatter head profile that I find easier to use when around areas like upper lip or around ears or what was supposed to be my cute little dimples.

It could also be a matter of weight or texture of the handle but the head thickness is what I notice the most.