Ming Shi 2000s Merkur Futur clone

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tucker

Ming Shi 2000s Merkur Futur clone

Post by Tucker »

The Ming Shi 2000s is available from Italian Barber, Maggard Razors, Ebay, and Aliexpress.com which is where I got mine. Prices are around $10 or so. I've never had the real McCoy, but is is a great razor for the price point. I didn't like it at first with a Polsilver SI, but I've settled on a Personna Red on a setting of 2 which is a good strike of mild and efficient. The top cap is somewhat fiddly, and you have to finess the blade exposure a bit However, the quality control is definitely there for a razor at this price point. It has all the faults of the Merkur with a slick handle, zamak construction, awkward blade loading, and I find it bulbous shaving under my nose. It has good audible feedback. I would rate it 4 of 5 stars. Highly recommended for the low price of entry:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... able+razor
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Ming Shi 2000s Merkur Futur clone

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have to say that I feel annoyance at people who sell such 'clones' (why not call them what they are - stolen intellectual property), profiting by stealing sales from those who made the effort to develop the original. They know it's illegal, but count on making a profit before they are stopped, or worse, assume that the original manufacturer won't go to the expense of legal challenges in each and every jurisdiction where they sell their copies. Those who buy them, when aware that they are buying a rip-off, are equally guilty. There used to be a sense that some behaviours were wrong, even if no one would stop you, even if no one would ever know; you were supposed to restrain yourself for your self-respect and your reputation.
You can laugh at my grumbles if you like, but it seems against the spirit of SMF to promote thievery, intellectual or otherwise.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Word is that the mid 1980's patent has expired on the Merkur Futur. I don't know if you are a gun guy, but there are multiple manufacturers of 1911's and AR-15's that came out after the patents expired on those designs. Then there are, of course, Generic Drugs. My Feather AS-D2 looks a lot like a Gillette Tech, so I am not sure where we draw the line?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was in agreement with Chris' negative opinion of the practice of copying someone else's design, but since I'm no patent attorney, I am having second thoughts.
I haven't taken a look at what's being offered by Merkur these days, but I am curious as to whether the existence of these cheap knock-offs has had many ill effects on Merkur's Futur sales.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Anything that is like the Futur or clone but without the bulkiness of the head or its weight? Maybe something like a butterfly or twist -to-open but with adjustable settings?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Progress, Gillette adjustables like the Fatboy?

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Forgot the Gillettes. How are they compared to a futur as far as aggressiveness
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

They don't open up as far as the Futur can.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok. The futur is bulky. Slows me down. Maybe I need that. Or try feathers in my butterfly baili
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Did an experiment today. One side of the face with the Baili Twist to Open razor, one side with the Ming Shi, set to 5. With the grain, against the grain, side to side each way and blade buffing. I think the Baili gave a closer shave believe it or not. Need to try Feathers in these
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Futur's handle is uncomfortable in my hand. Just not ergonomic in my case. For that reason I don't have one anymore. I'm wondering if the knock-off folks are able to clone the Progress any time soon. I've found that one to be a good adjustable performer.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

brothers wrote: I'm wondering if the knock-off folks are able to clone the Progress any time soon. I've found that one to be a good adjustable performer.
Have a search for the Parker Variant Adjustable Safety Razor. I have one and it's pretty comparable to the long handled Progress. It's all metal, including the twist knob and has a knurled handle for easy gripping.
It shaves very well and it can get very aggressive as the dial goes around more than once. :shock:
The craftsmanship is very good for a razor of this caliber.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bruno, that's good information. Thanks.
Gary

Weekly

Post by Weekly »

Sam wrote:Anything that is like the Futur or clone but without the bulkiness of the head or its weight? Maybe something like a butterfly or twist -to-open but with adjustable settings?
I saw a YouTube video with one of the Rockwell Razors owners, he was demonstrating and
Marketing their latest razor it is called " The Model T " it is a Sleek high quality looking adjustable
TTO style..