Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Astra vs. Feather

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

Astra vs. Feather

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:01 am

I just tried an Astra blade for the first time. I was surprised at how smooth and sharp it is. It was so smooth that I think I got careless and cut myself quite often. The blade lasted a long time and they are restively inexpensive. Now I have a Feather in my razor to compare the two. The Feather is also sharp but does not give as smooth of a shave as the Astra. On the other hand I don't cut myself with the Feather blade as much as I did with the Astra and I use a Merkur Vision set at the most aggressive setting.

Are the any opinions on which blade is better, considering that the Astra blade is much less expensive than the Feather.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve

Re: Astra vs. Feather

Postby mlb549 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:10 am

When I shaved with DE's Astra was my only blade. Of all the blades I tried(oodles), Astra always gave me a close comfortable shave and as you said, they last quite a few shaves. I now only use vintage SE's with very limited blade choices---which I like very well.
Mike
mlb549

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:20 am

Hi Mike, you said you tried oodles of blades but did you try the Feather blade? Do you remember how it compared to the Astra?

I am curious, why did you switch to SE's?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve

Postby BPman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Never much cared for Feather blades. but that is purely my subjective opinion. Astra SP is a fine blade, but for just a bit more $$ you can get an outstanding blade, e.g., Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock line, Nacet, etc.,
BPman

Postby mlb549 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:15 am

Steve, I did try Feather blades and they were very sharp out of the box, but did not hold up very long. After about 3 shaves, I could feel the blade tugging on my beard. For the cost of the short lived Feathers, I went back to the Astra. YMMV. I know lots of guys swear by Feathers, but they weren't for me. By all means, I believe you too should try "oodles" of blades to find your favorite. Sample packs are just the ticket. If you didn't try other products yourself, you wouldn't be able to compare them. This makes shaving fun and eventually satisfying.
Mike
mlb549

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:04 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response! One last question, I found that I cut my face more often with the Astra than with the Feather. Did you experience this too?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve

Postby mlb549 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 pm

When I first tried Astra, I had several nicks. This forced me to improve on my technique------minding my angle. I can't blame the blades for my lack of technique. After about a week of careful shaving, it became second nature. When I used blades before Astra(not as sharp) technique didn't seem to be a problem---as I was not aware of my improper angle because the less sharp blades just gave me razor burn. another warning I did not heed as well!!!! So, someone whom has shaved for years can learn to improve. Good luck in your search for the best shave!
Mike
mlb549

Return to Safety Razors & Blades