Single edge razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Vincev

Single edge razors

Post by Vincev »

Just purchased a Gem Push Buton and a Gem G Bar can anyone suggest a modern single edge razor and blades. I prefer a mild razor but blade does not need to be mild.

Vince
CMur12

Re: Single edge razors

Post by CMur12 »

Vince, most users prefer the GEM coated stainless blades. (There are also GEM stainless blades that are not coated and they are decent, too.)

I prefer the Treet blades, which are carbon steel. They are noticeably sharper than the stainless blades, though they are not quite as smooth and they do not last as long. I normally go for a mild razor and smooth-but-reasonably-sharp blade. In this case, however, the Treet blades just work better for me, as I can slice through the whiskers effortlessly with less pressure on the razor.

- Murray

EDIT/Addition: I have Featherweight and G-bar razors, myself. These and the Push-Button are supposed to be the mildest GEMS, as I recall. Nevertheless, they are not what I consider mild razors. I handle these with a light touch when I use them. All other vintage SE razors are too aggressive for me.
jar

Post by jar »

There should be several GEM format razors introduced between now and Christmas. But there are also quite a few AC format single edge razors that folk appear to like; I have had experience with the RazoRock Hawk, the Colonial General and the Ikon El Jefe.
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

Murray,
I am like you I prefer a mild razor and a sharp blade. I get my smoothest closest shaves with my 34c and a Feather blade.

Jar,
I started checking out both the Hawk and the Colonial General, I will let you know what happens.

Thanks
Vince
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Vince, if you like a Merkur 34C and a Feather blade, I think you would like the Treet carbon steel blades in either of the GEM SE razors that you have. You would need to make sure to dry the blade off after the shave. Don't leave it to drip-dry/evaporate or leave it in a wet razor, or it will rust.

By the way, I don't consider the 34C a mild razor. It is actually too aggressive for me for regular use. Most would consider it "moderate."

I have hesitated to try any of the new SE razors, as I have yet to be convinced that they are truly mild.

- Murray
jar

Post by jar »

Vincev wrote:Murray,
I am like you I prefer a mild razor and a sharp blade. I get my smoothest closest shaves with my 34c and a Feather blade.

Jar,
I started checking out both the Hawk and the Colonial General, I will let you know what happens.

Thanks
Vince
I should tell you that in the single edge world I enjoy the GEM 1912 format the most by far followed by the GEM ClogPruf, then the Schick G series and the AC format razors tagging along at the end of the line.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

jar wrote:

Jar,

Thanks
Vince
I should tell you that in the single edge world I enjoy the GEM 1912 format the most by far followed by the GEM ClogPruf, then the Schick G series and the AC format razors tagging along at the end of the line.
Jar, those are all very aggressive razors from my perspective, so they are out of the question for me and possibly for Vince, as well.

- Murray
jar

Post by jar »

CMur12 wrote:
jar wrote:

Jar,

Thanks
Vince
Jar, those are all very aggressive razors from my perspective, so they are out of the question for me and possibly for Vince, as well.

- Murray
That is surprising since I consider the GEM 1912, ClogPruf and Schick "G" series pretty mild but efficient razors. The Schick "E" series I find aggressive.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Vince, PM me your address and I'll send you some of the GEM SS ptfe coated blades. Many find them to be better after they get a few shaves on them,m or after hand stropping. I put a fresh blade into a milder razor than I normally use, then after the initial shaves move it into another razor.

The mildest SE razor I have ever used, and I had to try 2 of them because I couldn't believe how mild it was, was a GEM Jr Bar lather catcher. Other than that you have some of the mildest vintage razors ever made and that are easy to find. Another would be the Featherweight.

I can't help beyond that because my taste leans heavily toward the aggressive razors, and I know virtually nothing about the modern SE razors.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

There was a time when I got some very good shaves from the Gem Jr. lather catcher, with the Gem PTFE stainless blade. That is a good combo for me. I'm still using an SE razor, but it's one of the modern designs and uses a differently designed SE blade.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

The push button and the g bar arrived today tomorrow morning I will try the push button and Saturday the G bar I will post results

Vince
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Vince, I look forward to your impressions of these razors.

What blades do you currently have and plan to use?

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Murray, I sent him a few GEM SS ptfe blades since that's what I use exclusively.

Vince, FWIW, I can get more than 30 shaves from one every once in awhile. I don't remember ever getting less than 20 shaves from one after realizing that they were capable of more shaves than just canning them after a scheduled # of shaves. The last shave is NOT of the same character as shave #1, but as long as it gives me my shave with no additional passes and it remains comfortable it stays in the razor. Have no fear, unlike DE blades they won't bite as they get dull. They just stop cutting efficiently and no blood is shed. Trust me on that. They do NOT flex the way a DE blade does and it's that flexing that makes DE blades bite. My point is that there is no reason to can them after an arbitrary number of shaves. Change blades when you think it's time. A dull SE blade will NOT draw blood unless your technique is the absolute pits.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Understood, Brian. I didn't think he would have gotten those blade from you already.

Vince, if you like the coated stainless blades Brian sent you, they are definitely easier to deal with. The carbon steel blades won't last that long and you have to be sure to keep them dry. I live in a dry climate, so that isn't difficult to accomplish. I've often wondered if I could keep a carbon blade sharp and useful much longer if I had a strop (probably a paddle strop) to maintain the edge with. So far, I haven't been willing to pay for a strop to find out, probably because my favorite razors are of the DE type.

It might be time to get an old GEM razor out and give it another try.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vincev wrote:The push button and the g bar arrived today tomorrow morning I will try the push button and Saturday the G bar I will post results

Vince
Vince, I see you have some good razors and are getting some great blades for them. Take your time and enjoy those SE shaves. I'm interested to know how you like them, after you've had a chance to try them out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

I have had two shaves with the push button and two shaves with the G bar using the Gem SS (Brian thank you for sending me the blades greatly apriciated). After four shaves I am not impressed. I receive a closer, smoother less irritating shave with the OneBlade Core. However, I am not giving up on either razor.

I am thinking the problem is me, I believe I am not maintains the proper angle. Tomorrow morning before I go to churchI will shave with the push button. And Monday morning when I hit the road for five days since I am checking in my bags I will take both razors with me.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Thanks,
Vince
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hi Vince, the angle is probably different than anything you ever used before, and if you check back in the thread I may have mentioned (did I? I'm not looking back) that the blades don't "get good" until about 4 shaves in. But it all depends on many factors and I don't know your expertise. The SE razors you have in hand begin in aggressiveness near midway in DE razor aggressiveness. In no way is a mild SE razor as mild as a DE razor.

You need to judge where you are based on that. Is it the razor(s) or is it the blade? I got nothin' since only you have that knowledge.
Brian

Vincev

Post by Vincev »

Thanks Brian, I was told the razors were mild which is what I prefer. Regarding my skills I have been wet shaving all my adult life but only started DE shaving about 6 - 8 months ago and everything is just starting to fall into place. I will keep you posted on my success or disappointment.

Vince
brothers

Post by brothers »

ShadowsDad wrote: . . . . In no way is a mild SE razor as mild as a DE razor.

You need to judge where you are based on that. Is it the razor(s) or is it the blade? I got nothin' since only you have that knowledge.
Vince, As Brian says, but in other words, maybe you would have a source of comparison if you have access to a mild Gillette DE razor. A Superspeed for example. It has a well-earned reputation for relative mildness. Just a thought. Brian is quite knowledgeable in these matters.
Gary

Vincev

Post by Vincev »

Thanks guys
I will give it a few more shave and if not happy go back to my 34C and wait until Colonial starts selling the General Black