End cap issue - SuperSpeed/Slim/FB

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

End cap issue - SuperSpeed/Slim/FB

Post by brothers »

I have an old Slim that doesn't work right, and I've got two pretty nice razors that are missing end caps. Out of curiosity I decided I want to learn how to remove and replace the end caps on these TTO razors. I have learned they carry identical end caps that are soldered in place at the factory. So far I was able to remove one end cap that had a few marks on it like it had been struck with a tiny hammer for some crazy reason. This means I've removed a defective end cap and now I need to figure out how to remove a pristine end cap and then re-install it on a different razor that needs one, without damaging the new end cap in the process. Does anyone here have any suggestions? Is it a DYI project? If not, then where would I take it locally for the process? I am thinking a jeweler with access to all the tools and expertise might give it a try.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: End cap issue - SuperSpeed/Slim/FB

Post by brothers »

OK, here's the plan so far. I'm going to use a micro-torch (butane) to melt the solder holding the end cap that is currently on a derelict Slim, which will permit me to remove the end cap. If that works, then I'll solder the end cap onto the Fatboy in place of the damaged one. Sounds so simple, doesn't it?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufust445

Re: End cap issue - SuperSpeed/Slim/FB

Post by Rufust445 »

You're a braver iman than I, Gunga-Din.