Recommend Me Razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Modern Ancient

Recommend Me Razors

Post by Modern Ancient »

So, here is the thing: for the past year, or, so, I have been trying to hone in on the perfect morning shave. Perfect, for me, anyway. So, I have eliminated all things superfluous, as anything superfluous shall become a superfluidity. Indeed, it already is. Yay, etymology. So, I have found the perfect, or, near perfect, morning routine. Well, almost. I am, nearly, there. I need only a balm, to replace the new formula, nasty ingredient ridden Proraso. But, I have every other element of the shave, which is necessary.

On the other hand, in the evening/s, I like to rotate, between products. However, I am limited, in this, by my allergies. However, I can use most razors. Please, recommend me some, to try. The only caveat is, they must be smooth/mild shavers.
CMur12

Re: Recommend Me Razors

Post by CMur12 »

My favorite razor is a "Mergress" (Merkur Progress with a custom metal adjustment knob) on the lowest setting.

Of all the razors I have tried, this gives me the best combination of mild and effective.

I, too, require a mild razor. The Gillette Tech is too mild, while the Edwin Jagger razors are a bit too aggressive. A Merkur with a fixed head is a little more aggressive than an Edwin Jagger. I waited for years before trying the Mergress/Progress, until I was finally convinced that it would be suitably mild at the lowest setting. Since I got mine, nothing else has come close.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

You might find that SE razors will help with the ingrowns and after the shave skin problems. They use a much stiffer blade so there's no blade flexing worth noting. The problem with SE razors is that most start somewhere near mid-aggressive range, if it was a DE razor. The easiest to find "mild" SE razors are later ones made by GEM; the Featherweight, Contour, and G-Bar. But the mildest SE razor that Ive ever used is the GEM Jr. Bar (not to be confused with the GEM Jr.). I've had at least 2 of them and they were so mild as to be unusable by me. They aren't easy to find though.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jar

Post by jar »

I'm allergic to anything alive, that was once alive, that might potentially become alive, that has been near something that is alive and things that have been near something that was once alive.

I believe the GEMs are near perfect and if you actually follow the directions also very mild. Used a Featherweight Deluxe this morning and have my MMOC scheduled up next.

Another one to consider is the OneBlade Core. Really, really mild and almost impossible to misuse.

In DE razors it is pretty hard to beat the Feather Popular.
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

Thanks, everyone. I have a Feather Popular, but, thought it was aggressive. That may have been the included blade. I shall try it, again, and, see what happens.

ETA: The GEM's I have tried, in the past, have been too aggressive, as I remember. Plus, new old stock are, almost, impossible to find. I refuse to use vintage razors. To me, that is just gross.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

You can boil a vintage razor, as long as it isn't gold-plated or bearing plastic parts.

If that still feels gross to you, I can't imagine you going to a barber.

- Murray
jar

Post by jar »

CMur12 wrote:You can boil a vintage razor, as long as it isn't gold-plated or bearing plastic parts.

- Murray
Or using tableware and plates in a restaurant.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I love the Gillette Red Tip. It was designed to tackle heavy beards, which it does superbly; however, I do not find it in the least harsh or aggressive.

I stumbled across this beautifully refurbished one:
http://www.deltaechorazors.com/product/ ... -executive

Of course, you can easily pick one up in good usable condition for less, but that one sure looks great.

Enjoy.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

jar wrote:
CMur12 wrote:You can boil a vintage razor, as long as it isn't gold-plated or bearing plastic parts.

- Murray
Or using tableware and plates in a restaurant.
Oh yes, then there's that!

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Or a public toilet!
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

I never eat, at restaurants. That would be way too risky.

I avoid barbershops, like the plague. I, still, got burnt, however, this past Friday. She cut it way too short. This was, at a salon. I think she did it, on purpose. :cry: :oops: :evil: :!:
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have not used one, but you might consider a Feather AS-D2. This razor is often reviewed as mild and it appears that the guys who use one are in love with the dependable results. I take you at your word that you are opposed to a vintage used razor. If you should change your mind about this you should try a 1948 ~~ 1950 Gillette Aristocrat or a Schick Krona (late sixties, early seventies).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

Okay, okay, here is the real issue I have, with the vintage razors:

I believe in things. I believe in intelligence. I believe intelligence can rub off, from the user, onto whatever is being used. This would include something, like a razor. Now, if the previous owner had been a good man, of a similar outlook, etc, I would have no problem using a vintage razor. However, how would I know that? I could be using the razor of a child molester, or, a registered voter, or something untoward, like that. How could I sleep, at night?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Do you live in a home where you knew all the previous tenants were good people? That can be said of pretty much everything we contact on a daily basis. The air we breathe and water we drink comes into even closer contact than a razor. I don't know where in the UK you live, but I think I read 3 decades ago that the water in the Thames that Londoners drink, has passed through 13 sets of kidneys before they get to drink it. It's probably more kidneys now. Since the body holds onto water for a long time and excretes a relatively small amount every day it has plenty of time to get intimate with the pedophile/murderer, whatever. Then there's money; the list goes on and on.

Edit: Wouldn't the good folks, you being one of them I assume, counteract the effect that you're concerned about? I believe there are more good folks in the world than scumbags.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Intelligence doesn't belong only to the good, or to the bad. 100% of humans who own a fully operative brain also own intelligence. How can we presume to judge others whom we never met or knew? Perhaps the word in context of the above mentioned post denotes someone with whom we share the same set of values and beliefs. If one doesn't believe and practice identically as we do, then he/she is not intelligent? Are those who do not agree with us unintelligent?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
tarikism

Post by tarikism »

Keep away from Merkur [-X
Here you are my futur :oops:
Attachments
Deutche Qualität
Deutche Qualität
futur2.jpg (36.19 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

ShadowsDad wrote:Do you live in a home where you knew all the previous tenants were good people? That can be said of pretty much everything we contact on a daily basis. The air we breathe and water we drink comes into even closer contact than a razor. I don't know where in the UK you live, but I think I read 3 decades ago that the water in the Thames that Londoners drink, has passed through 13 sets of kidneys before they get to drink it. It's probably more kidneys now. Since the body holds onto water for a long time and excretes a relatively small amount every day it has plenty of time to get intimate with the pedophile/murderer, whatever. Then there's money; the list goes on and on.

Edit: Wouldn't the good folks, you being one of them I assume, counteract the effect that you're concerned about? I believe there are more good folks in the world than scumbags.

I live far away, from home. It has been years, since I left England. God bless you, though, for thinking I am still British.
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

brothers wrote:Intelligence doesn't belong only to the good, or to the bad. 100% of humans who own a fully operative brain also own intelligence. How can we presume to judge others whom we never met or knew? Perhaps the word in context of the above mentioned post denotes someone with whom we share the same set of values and beliefs. If one doesn't believe and practice identically as we do, then he/she is not intelligent? Are those who do not agree with us unintelligent?

I believe you may have misunderstood. Everyone has an intelligence, and, one has no way of knowing if the former owner used his intelligence for good, or, for evil. Besides, I feel weird about using things which were made in another time.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I have been collecting vintage razors for ten years now. Early on I did have a ghost experience in a new house. It might have been related to a razor that I brought into the house. Our normally Alpha Male cat freaked out, cowered, and followed something around the house that only he could see. It was spooky.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Modern Ancient wrote: Everyone has an intelligence, and, one has no way of knowing if the former owner used his intelligence for good, or, for evil. Besides, I feel weird about using things which were made in another time.
Coins and bills in currency?
Gary