This month was a series of comparison pairings with Open Comb razors that was broken into two parts. In the first Phase five Gillette OCs were paired with five newer OCs. Surprisingly, the newer razors actually came out on top in three of the five pairings.
The first phase:
- RazoRock Old Type vs a 1918 made Gillette Old Style and the RR was significantly more comfortable and more efficient.
- Merkur 1904 vs Gillette No Date Code No Serial number Old Style and they were really close but the Gillette just slightly better.
- Merkur 25C vs Gillette New LC; this pair were so close it was just the Gillette still showing original gold plating that made it the winner.
- Fatip Grande vs Gillette New SC and the Fatip Grande was significantly more comfortable with the same shave result.
- Finally an ATT S2 vs a Gillette Sheraton where surprisingly the S2 was more efficient than the Sheraton.
In the second phase the best from the first phase were pitted against five different OC razors as well as different blade formats and three additional OC razors added at the end.
- The RazoRock Old Type against a different 1918 made Gillette Old Style and again, the RR rocked.
- The No date code Gillette Old Type vs a GEM MMOC; close but the Gillette was more comfortable.
- The Gillette LC vs a Durham Duplex and surprisingly the Durham Duplex was much more comfortable and as efficient.
- The Fatip Grande vs a Valet AutoStrop VC1 with a despined GEM blade; close again but the Fatip slightly better.
- This is actually a trilogy with an ATT S2 vs ATTSE2 with a Feather AC blade & a R2 with the same blade that was in the S2; of the three the S2 was by far the most comfortable.
- The final two were a Fatip Piccolo and one of my Rolls Razors and again those were pretty close.