General by Colonial - one year already and not looking back

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

General by Colonial - one year already and not looking back

Post by brothers »

One year ago today, Christmas Eve, December 24 2016 was my first shave with the General. it's been my primary razor ever since. Couldn't be more satisfied. With blades that last about 1 month I've got a handful of 20 blade packs that will last me at least 10 years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Re: General by Colonial - one year already and not looking b

Post by Gareth »

Interesting looking razor Gary and very minimalist- if Apple made razors, this would be it...

My initial reaction is that it’s design for design’s sake - I can’t see what ‘problem’ it solves over a regular DE razor.

You mention the longevity of the blades. Are they expensive in comparison to DE blades?

Gareth
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's not a visual appeal to me. I don't care what it looks like. It's hands down the only razor that provides the closest and smoothest shave every single day. The aluminum head I have was about $35. I traded a razor for the BRW handle I use with it. I get a pack of 20 Feather Pro blades from the place in UK that charges $7 per pack. It comes down to the best AND the cheapest shave. This unique combination of results is reinforced every single day after the shave. I'll probably be selling all of my other razors and blades (except my small group of vintage straight razors). I don't need them any more.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Fair enough Gary, looks like a good solution for you.

Gareth
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm slowly adjusting to the status of being overloaded with non-General razors and non-Kai and Feather blades and little or no interest in ever using any of them again.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:I'm slowly adjusting to the status of being overloaded with non-General razors and non-Kai and Feather blades and little or no interest in ever using any of them again.
Gary, I, too, have a LOT of shaving equipment that I don't use anymore and the market for used shaving equipment has largely dried up. (Not to mention the fact that it would be a pain to sell all the little bits and pieces.)

For a razor, I have generally settled on the Mergress. I would be just fine with this as my only razor, as it works way better for me than any other razor I have purchased so far. I'm sure there is a razor out there that would serve me even better, but I have neither the patience nor the inclination to pursue it.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:
brothers wrote:I'm slowly adjusting to the status of being overloaded with non-General razors and non-Kai and Feather blades and little or no interest in ever using any of them again.
Gary, I, too, have a LOT of shaving equipment that I don't use anymore and the market for used shaving equipment has largely dried up. (Not to mention the fact that it would be a pain to sell all the little bits and pieces.) . . . . I have neither the patience nor the inclination to pursue it.

- Murray
You said it! Maybe I'll get into the mood to try to sell some things at a later date.
Gary

aih

Post by aih »

I had to search. Interesting. I wasn't familiar with that razor.

I'm curious if you have used only the Feather blade with it, or other blades as well?

(I've used one package of Feather double-edge blades from a sample pack I purchased. They were the best blades in my experience, cutting whiskers with an ease and smoothness like simply wiping the shaving lather from my skin. Hence my curiosity. Great razor, or great blade?)
- Ira
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've used both Kai Captain blades and the Feather Pro in the General single edge razor. The resulting shaves obtained with both brands are equally excellent.
Gary

aih

Post by aih »

Thanks. Good information. I'm in a groove with my razor(s), but now I will have to try the Kai blades (but the double-edge).
- Ira
brothers

Post by brothers »

The DE Kai blades were one of my top 5.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, do you find that Feather and Kai DE and SE blades are equivalent across types (DE to SE)?

One reason I would hesitate to even try the General razor is that I can't use Feather DE blades (because of the famous skin-thinning) and I experience Kai DE blades as harsh.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:Gary, do you find that Feather and Kai DE and SE blades are equivalent across types (DE to SE)?

One reason I would hesitate to even try the General razor is that I can't use Feather DE blades (because of the famous skin-thinning) and I experience Kai DE blades as harsh.

- Murray
Murray, the Cobra Classic and the General use the same identical blades. I literally hated the shave and the bloodshed caused to my face by the Feather/Kai in the Cobra. Same for the cruel and slashing havoc rendered by the R41 Muehle DE by any brand of blade. I don't feel comfortable comparing a DE to an SE, especially the GEM and Feather AC single edge blades that are quite different except that they only have a single edge. My firm position is that the razor in question determines how smooth or harsh the blade is.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:
CMur12 wrote:Gary, do you find that Feather and Kai DE and SE blades are equivalent across types (DE to SE)?

- Murray
Murray, the Cobra Classic and the General use the same identical blades. I literally hated the shave and the bloodshed caused to my face by the Feather/Kai in the Cobra. Same for the cruel and slashing havoc rendered by the R41 Muehle DE by any brand of blade. I don't feel comfortable comparing a DE to an SE, especially the GEM and Feather AC single edge blades that are quite different except that they only have a single edge. My firm position is that the razor in question determines how smooth or harsh the blade is.
Gary, I think that is largely true, but I can't use a Feather DE blade in any razor. A Feather blade in a Gillette Tech or other similarly mild razor causes me no bloodshed or harshness, but I still suffer the effects of "skin-thinning." Hence, my wary approach to the matter.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, I have no doubt. The DE Feather may have that reputation among a lot of guys. I've used Feather DE blades in the past and my only complaint was that they didn't last very long. Regarding the Feather Pro AC blades, they last about as long as the Kai - up to a month of efficient shaves. Sharp as expected, but not unusually so.

Back to Feather SE blades, there is the Valet proprietory blade with a series of holes cut out. I've never used one and never will, but OneBlade recommends they should be the only blade used in their SE razor, and they are on record saying the Feather Valet only lasts one shave before being replaced. Of course OneBlade sells them to their razor customers.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

I transitioned back to the General and Feather Pro combination on January 1st. I'll plan to use it for awhile. If it weren't for the fact that I enjoy variety in my shaving, I could easily use the General/Feather as my only razor and blade. This combo provides an excellent shave and, as Gary says, one need not look any further.
Best regards,

Basil
Gene

Post by Gene »

I bought the black aluminum razor when it showed up in stock a few months ago.

I bought 3 Feather and 3 Kai Captain Titan blades from the folks at Try a Blade to go with it.

I like the Feather blades better. In fact, I think they feel better to me than the tradition Feather DE blades (but that's me).

I am amazed that a razor so physically large is so easy to use. Not sure if it could become my one and only - but it IS a nice shave - no doubt about that. I got pretty careless with it the other day, but so far not one bit of blood.

The black aluminum is very affordable - if you think you might want one I would say go for it (and no - they don't pay me to say this. Free plug).
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

this thread must be causing an uproar....razors are sold out!! :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

Morning Clive,

Maybe, but I don't think they make too many at any one time. I had to wait a month or so for the less expensive black ones to become available.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gene, for curiosity: do they have a waiting list or did you hit the site at the right time? Thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum