Razorock baby smooth vs rockwell 2c vs 6s vs Feather AS-D2

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
chris1978

Razorock baby smooth vs rockwell 2c vs 6s vs Feather AS-D2

Post by chris1978 »

Hi Guys,

Longtime no see. I’ve been using Above The Tie M1 Safety Razor and I try the first time and its as pretty good. I got one or two nicks but it’s ok. My face feel comfortable and no problem. My neck looks little redness for the first time. I’ll be using again tonight and see how it’s going for the second time. The razor is very light and very mildes.

NOW I’ve been searching all three different DE Razors that I want to try: Razorrock Baby smooth, Rockwell 2c or 6c and Feather AS-D2. They are all mild. I heard a great thing about this. I need feedback from you on what your shaving experience like. Does the Rockwell 2c r1 is heavier than razorrock baby smooth? I really want to get both razorrock and Rockwell 2c but don’t know which one to get.

Feather is mild. How mild is it? I have sensitive skin and have very carefully when I shave.

I need your help.

Chris A
Nitrox
AC/DC

Re: Razorock baby smooth vs rockwell 2c vs 6s vs Feather AS-D2

Post by Nitrox »

Hey Chris,

I have the Rockwell 6S which should be comparable to the 6c.
The differences are that the 6s is stainless steel and made in the USA, and the 6c is made of some alloy and made in the far east.
The 6s is my favourite razor at the moment. It's adjustable, ( I use it the #4 )as it gives a good trade-off between aggressiveness and very little irritation. The price is not bad compared to other stainless steel razors made locally.
I don't own any of the other razors you mentioned, so I can't compare them to the 6S.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

Bruno, I’m thinking about getting Rockwell 2C plate 1/3 in white chrome or gunmetal but don’t know how heavy is the razor itself. Both 2c and 6c weigh 100 gram. I have Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed and Gillette Good Tech 3 piece and Above the Tie M1. They all very light handle. I’m curious about the Rockwell 2C.

Chris A
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Chris and Bruno -

I have the Rockwell 6C razor and it is my favorite razor. I don't have any experience with the other razors under consideration.

The 6C is very well finished and quite hefty. The 2C comes with one plate, which has settings 1 and 3. I like setting 2, which is suitably mild, yet effective. I think it would be worth the extra $20.00 to get the 6C (over the 2C), to make sure you can get exactly the right setting for you.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

How do they compare with the Merkur Progress? I sold my Progress years ago, because I thought I had too many razors, but now I have some RAD again.

Or...I could just stick with Lord knows how many razors I already have from all those eBay lots I bought over 10 years ago, which include red and blue tip Super Speeds and both kinds of Gillette adjustable. Then I look at the current eBay prices and think about selling off some more...

The appeal of the Progress is that it's continuously adjustable, and I could work with it for many shaves to get the exact right setting...at least for that combination of lather and blade.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, my favorite razors are the Rockwell 6C and the Mergress.

I use the Mergress at the lowest setting, and it provides a mild shave while doing a better job than most getting the blade at the whiskers. I guess some would call that mild, yet efficient.

What I like about three-piece razors is that they are so easy to disassemble and clean after each shave. This is especially important when I use Treet Dura Sharp blades, which are PTFE-coated carbon steel. The Rockwell 6C with plate 2 is just right for me. I also really like the chrome finish. I would rate it as on-par with Edwin Jagger razors and the 6C is actually quite hefty.

I'm inclined to tell new wetshavers to get a Rockwell 6C/6S or a Merkur Progress/Mergress, as these razors will adjust to any beard/skin combination and they can accommodate changing needs as the individual progresses in shaving technique. Other than RAD, there would really be no reason to ever buy another razor.

- Murray