In Praise of the Ordinary Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
pausted

Re: In Praise of the Ordinary Razor

Post by pausted »

Well said, Tim. I agree with everything you said.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I agree with you also Tim. It's one of the best everyday razors, and a lot of guys are using those. I added a bit of weight to the handle and it's a beautiful razor and handle. I was able to obtain one of the new generation of SE razors called the General by Colonial razors. It cost $35 and it gives me better shaves than any other safety/straight razor in terms of closeness and smoothness without nary a cut or nick. Surprisingly it was engineered to use the Feather AC blades and others, Cobra, etc. It made all of my other razors and their blades obsolete. I have a backup to my General, and also a brass version that I traded for. I didn't have any reason to buy the stainless version because I simply don't need it. It is the only razor I have used in the past 1 1/2 years since I got it, and I have ended my search for the perfect razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Nice treatise, as usual, Tim. :)

I've bought and used a lot of razors over the years, trying to find what works best with my sensitive skin. Though I have three Edwin Jaggers, including the Barley Corn, I ultimately decided that they were a little too aggressive for my own regular use.

The best razors I have found for my personal needs are the Mergress (customized Merkur Progress) on its lowest setting and the Rockwell 6C with setting 2 (6 settings on 3 plates). I especially like the three-piece Rockwell, as I can easily disassemble it for cleaning after each shave. This is especially important when I use Treet Dura Sharp blades, made of carbon steel with PTFE coating.

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim, I found both versions of the Rockwell at www.swissknifeshop.com .

I haven't found them among most of our better-known vendors.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

Tim - like you I picked up the EJ DE89L a few years ago and I really do like how it performs. If I had to choose just one razor for the rest of my life I could easily see it being this one. It handles any blade I feed into it - and the shaves I get from it using what I consider my least performing blade (German Wilks) right up to my favorite all-time blade (Swede's) varies from very good to excellent.

I don't think I have ever had a bad shave from it.

I still have a drawer with all my other razors - Superspeed's, adjustables, a Red Tip, a Schick Krona, a couple of injectors (one of these is my go-to travel razor) - and I use them all every now and then - but I really like the EJ.

I also watch as the new razors are created - and wonder if they are better. I, too, have no problem with anybody buying and using whatever they want to shave with. But, they are more expensive than I am willing to spend my extra cash on. I spend my extra cash on guns and camera gear. To each his own.

However - with all that said - I did pick up one of the General razor's that Gary mentioned. I waited until the black aluminum models were back in stock and got one of those. Then off to the Try-a-Blade website for a few samples. I have mentioned this before - it is a great shaver. I still marvel that a razor that is so physically large can handle so well. It is light and responsive. I marvel that a smooth handle can rest in my hand and not be slippery while wet. I marvel that even when the blade dulls a bit I have yet to draw even a single drop of blood with it.

But I don't use it every day. I still find myself reaching for the EJ when I am home. Perhaps it's because I like the DE blades I use with it more than I do the SE blades for the General? Maybe I need a few other samples to try - I only got the Feather and one other that seemed popular with some of the folks who use the General.

Anyway - I DO like the fact that we have a lot more choices today than we did 10 years ago - whether we are talking about razors, blades, soaps or creams. Groups like ours kept DE shaving alive and I see it moving back into the mainstream more every day.

And that's a good thing.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Well said, Gene.

Oh, and YGPM.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene, it's been my experience that the AC blades last about 4 or even 5 times as long as my DE blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Well said. Nothing I can add except for two things: 1) I really like my 1946 Super-Speed and it's my go-to razor. (So, ditto on settling on one that you really like.) 2) The EJ89 is tempting to try now. How does it compare to the Merkur 34C?
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Roger, if the 34C is a Merkur with a fixed head, I believe the Edwin Jagger is a tiny bit milder.

I'm intrigued by the General, but I'm wary of the blades. I require a mild razor (Mergress on lowest setting; Rockwell on 2) and a sharp blade (but not Feather-sharp). I see people here saying that the Feather blades complement the mild General razor, but I heard similar things about Feather DE blades in mild razors. I tried a Feather blade in a Gillette Tech (actually a milder razor than I like to use now), and I still experienced the infamous "skin-thinning" attributed to Feather blades. For this reason, I have held off on the purchase of a General.

- Murray
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Tim,

I bought my first Rockwell 6s and love it so much I bought another one.
I do also have the 6c but the quality is not the same as the 6s. It's very close but
not quite the same. One example is the handle screwing into the head. On the 6s it's buttery
smooth but the 6c is a little more rough.
I own lots (and I mean lots) of razors and for me the 6s is the best of the whole bunch.
For the money, you can't go wrong and it's adjustable to your liking.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Gene

Post by Gene »

CMur12 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm I still experienced the infamous "skin-thinning" attributed to Feather blades. For this reason, I have held off on the purchase of a General.

- Murray
Murray- I am with you on this.

I have Feather DE blades that I doubt will every get used up - Sharp but way too harsh.

That said, I do not experience the same thing with the Feather blades for my General. It's not the smoothest blade I have ever used, but it is pretty close.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regarding the DE razors, right before the General happened to come along, I was pretty much satisfied that my best shaves ever were coming from a late-to-mid 1970s short handle Gillette black beauty adjustable. If the General had not come onto the scene, I was going to be happy using the Gillette every day.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Okay, well, the 6S is looking like a winner. But I may pick up an aluminum General when those become available; it's hard for me to pay $100 for a razor at all, let alone have two at that price point in my den at once.

I will probably pull the trigger today, but I'm going for a run to clear my head. I'll check back in later; please leave as much feedback as you can on these razors, guys. I appreciate all the opinions offered so far.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gene wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 pm
CMur12 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm I still experienced the infamous "skin-thinning" attributed to Feather blades. For this reason, I have held off on the purchase of a General.

- Murray
Murray- I am with you on this.

I have Feather DE blades that I doubt will every get used up - Sharp but way too harsh.

That said, I do not experience the same thing with the Feather blades for my General. It's not the smoothest blade I have ever used, but it is pretty close.
That is valuable feedback, Gene. Thank you.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The Feather Portable 3-piece DE razor I bought for a few bucks several years back from the old stock of a barber supply store is now going for close to $30 used on eBay. It's tempting to try selling mine and go with an even more ordinary razor.

I also just ordered a Dorco PL602 to have one more heavier-duty plastic model to go with my Wilkinson Classic. I'm donating my super-cheap current Asian Gillette plastic DE models to a charity store.

My go-to razors are pretty ordinary and old - a Gem Contour or Micromatic, a Super Speed, a Schick injector.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim, if you are considering the aluminum version of the General, you might also consider the chrome version of the Rockwell (6C). It is half the price and the functional equal of the stainless steel version (6S) and I would judge the finish to be on par with the Edwin Jagger. I'm sometimes tempted to get the 6S as well, but I'm actually very happy with the 6C. (I'm also giving some serious thought to the General, thanks to Gene's feedback.)

- Murray
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

CMur12 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm Roger, if the 34C is a Merkur with a fixed head, I believe the Edwin Jagger is a tiny bit milder.

I'm intrigued by the General, but I'm wary of the blades. I require a mild razor (Mergress on lowest setting; Rockwell on 2) and a sharp blade (but not Feather-sharp). I see people here saying that the Feather blades complement the mild General razor, but I heard similar things about Feather DE blades in mild razors. I tried a Feather blade in a Gillette Tech (actually a milder razor than I like to use now), and I still experienced the infamous "skin-thinning" attributed to Feather blades. For this reason, I have held off on the purchase of a General.

- Murray
Murray,

The Merkur 34C does have a fixed head. I like the Merkur well enough but it is an aggressive razor for me.

Thanks,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I think you'll like the Rockwell, Tim.

- Murray
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Tim, you made a great choice. Let us know how you like it when you get it and try it out. :D
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I like three-piece razors because they are easy to disassemble and clean after a shave. Not so much the case with TTO and two-piece razors are a little more awkward, too.

With the Rockwell, you get both a three-piece razor and you get a true adjustable: the best of both worlds.

(I consider the Merkur Progress and Mergress "true adjustables" because they maintain the same blade geometry throughout the adjustment range. Gillette TTO adjustables cannot raise the whole head unit, so they produce adjustability by changing the angle of the blade as the only way to change the blade gap. For this reason, I don't consider Gillettes "true adjustables.")

- Murray