In Praise of the Ordinary Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Shave4Fun

Re: In Praise of the Ordinary Razor

Post by Shave4Fun » Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

CMur12 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm
Roger, if the 34C is a Merkur with a fixed head, I believe the Edwin Jagger is a tiny bit milder.

I'm intrigued by the General, but I'm wary of the blades. I require a mild razor (Mergress on lowest setting; Rockwell on 2) and a sharp blade (but not Feather-sharp). I see people here saying that the Feather blades complement the mild General razor, but I heard similar things about Feather DE blades in mild razors. I tried a Feather blade in a Gillette Tech (actually a milder razor than I like to use now), and I still experienced the infamous "skin-thinning" attributed to Feather blades. For this reason, I have held off on the purchase of a General.

- Murray
Murray,

The Merkur 34C does have a fixed head. I like the Merkur well enough but it is an aggressive razor for me.

Thanks,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 49 years!

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm

CMur12 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm
Tim, if you are considering the aluminum version of the General, you might also consider the chrome version of the Rockwell (6C). It is half the price and the functional equal of the stainless steel version (6S) and I would judge the finish to be on par with the Edwin Jagger. I'm sometimes tempted to get the 6S as well, but I'm actually very happy with the 6C. (I'm also giving some serious thought to the General, thanks to Gene's feedback.)

- Murray
Murray, I hear you on the chrome, but I pulled the trigger on steel. I got a 10 percent off coupon and had some Paypal money I'd forgotten about, so it's on the way.

And the General...yeah, it's in consideration still. And so it goes. :lol: :D
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm

I think you'll like the Rockwell, Tim.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks for the feedback, Murray et al.

I expect it'll be a great razor for me. I also see the benefit of having access to milder or more aggressive shaves as needed, and in the end, I have to admit I just like trying new shave gear.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox » Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Tim, you made a great choice. Let us know how you like it when you get it and try it out. :D
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:52 pm

I like three-piece razors because they are easy to disassemble and clean after a shave. Not so much the case with TTO and two-piece razors are a little more awkward, too.

With the Rockwell, you get both a three-piece razor and you get a true adjustable: the best of both worlds.

(I consider the Merkur Progress and Mergress "true adjustables" because they maintain the same blade geometry throughout the adjustment range. Gillette TTO adjustables cannot raise the whole head unit, so they produce adjustability by changing the angle of the blade as the only way to change the blade gap. For this reason, I don't consider Gillettes "true adjustables.")

- Murray

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am

Murray,

Thanks for that explanation of the Mergress vs. the Gillette adjustables. I did enjoy my long-handled adjustable for quite a while, but I think things were smoother for me with the Mergress. The distinction between changing only the angle and changing the head geometry is likely one reason why.

I am very much looking forward to the Rockwell.
Regards,
Tim

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Wed May 23, 2018 7:14 am

First shave with the Rockwell today. I used plate 4 to go slightly more aggressive than the DE89. Very efficient and smooth, even with more blade exposure and a bigger blade gap. I will have to see how I feel about the heft after a few more shaves. The 6C may have been a better choice. Or not. I like the matte look. Anyway, an auspicious beginning, as I got my closest shave in some time (although this may have been due to extra attention paid with the new razor).
Regards,
Tim

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:38 pm

I really like the look of the chromed Rockwell 6C. Maybe I'm just a sucker for shiny objects. :mrgreen:

- Murray

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Thu May 24, 2018 6:59 am

Yeah, chrome is nice and my general preference (the Merkur 1904 being one of my favorite razors to look at), but something about the utilitarian look of a matte steel razor is striking to me.

Good shave today. Already the weight felt like less of an issue, and the blade angle is getting dialed in. No irritation, closer than the 89, and very efficient. Still not where I want the shave to be - where it was with my Mergress, my LH Adjustable, and my Red Tip once I got each dialed in - but on the way there.
Regards,
Tim

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Tim, I have other stainless steel razors and I like their looks, too. I think either choice, 6C or 6S, is a good one.

You mentioned reservations about the heft of your 6S. Is the issue too much heft or not enough?

- Murray

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Thu May 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Murray, I thought it might be too much at first, but today's shave felt more natural. I am coming from a very lightweight DE, so I think that was the hangup. The weight worked for me today because I let it instead of fighting it, and the blade seemed to cut effortlessly. I'm sure by the time I use it for a week or two, it will feel "normal" and start becoming intuitive, and only then will I be able to start really evaluating, I think.
Regards,
Tim

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri May 25, 2018 8:17 am

OK --- You guys have managed to get me interested in this razor (Rockwell 6C/6S). Do you think it can compare favorably with the General? I have been reading the almost universally positive (rave?) reviews on the Rockwell website. I see that the stainless costs $100 and the chrome version costs $50. I also see that I can receive a discount signing up for the mailing list. I've got a lot of good DE blades and a lot of good DE razors. Now that I've got this one under my skin and into my head, I think I might give it a whirl. The unconditional 30 day money back guarantee allows me to try it with confidence that I might like it. Should I, or shouldn't I? Is it really that good?
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Fri May 25, 2018 8:54 am

Gary, I'm only 3 days in. Today's shave was actually a step backwards for me in the chin area. I'm still adjusting to the weight and blade angle and wound up having to do touchup on the chin as I just didn't get very close in 2 passes. I can say that the areas where I got the angle right are much more closely cut than with the EJ, and the shave feels smooth and efficient. I also get a bit more auditory feedback from the razor than from the EJ, which is not important to me, but which I do enjoy. All to say I'm still too early in using it to evaluate with finality, and I've only used the one plate anyway (#4), so things might be different with a more aggressive or more mild plate.
Regards,
Tim

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog » Fri May 25, 2018 3:58 pm

I got the Dorco plastic PL602, and it wasn't quite as substantial as I was hoping for. Super-light, and cheap feeling. I tried it a little, but I'll have to use it more to give it a fair trial. It's not at all like the plastic Wilkinson Classic, which must have metal underneath the plastic in the handle. I paid a similar price for both, just because shipping adds a few bucks.

I suppose the Merkur Progress doesn't count as "ordinary." The Schick injector does count, and that's my ultimate submission for this thread. The recent Chinese chromed DE TTO's, with their somewhat sloppy play when the doors are open, and short life expectancy, count in my book as sub-ordinary.

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:37 pm

brothers wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:17 am
OK --- You guys have managed to get me interested in this razor (Rockwell 6C/6S). Do you think it can compare favorably with the General? I have been reading the almost universally positive (rave?) reviews on the Rockwell website. I see that the stainless costs $100 and the chrome version costs $50. I also see that I can receive a discount signing up for the mailing list. I've got a lot of good DE blades and a lot of good DE razors. Now that I've got this one under my skin and into my head, I think I might give it a whirl. The unconditional 30 day money back guarantee allows me to try it with confidence that I might like it. Should I, or shouldn't I? Is it really that good?
Gary, like the rest of us, you probably don't need another razor! 8)

With that out of the way, I would be hesitant to compare the Rockwell to the General, considering how well the General has worked for you. I would say that it and the Mergress are the best DE razors I have found. If you have DE blades you want to use, I can't imagine a better DE razor. With its three plates and six levels of shaving mildness/aggression, I think you are highly likely to find a setting that gives you the desired and most satisfying result.

- Murray

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Sun May 27, 2018 3:25 pm

Still not digging the Rockwell. The head is bulkier than I'd prefer, and with the weight it just isn't all that nimble. Maybe the 6C would be better. I dunno. I have only given it a few shaves, but today I did a second shave in the afternoon in anticipation of a wedding this evening, and I just used my Barley Chrome. Chin and just below the nose were so much easier to get. This is not a formal review of the Rockwell at all, as it's early in my usage. But I've got a decade of experience with DEs and am struggling to adjust to a new razor. New guys with 5-6 variables in the shave and little experience can't possibly evaluate whether an 89 or vintage Gillette is aggressive enough or too agressive after a week or two of shaves with it.

Other ordinary razors I've really enjoyed:
a Superspeed from my dad's birth quarter
a 1904 Merkur
a LH adjustable that I picked up for $20 on the auction site
the Red Tip

Doesn't keep me from eyeing other stuff, but this week has been a nice reminder that changing up that variable doesn't always help.
Regards,
Tim

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Well, Tim, the other razors you listed are all decidedly lighter than the Rockwell (6C, in my case).

The Rockwell 6C is similar in weight to solid stainless razors by iKon, Feather (AS-D1), Weber, and such. I don't know what the 6S weighs, but my 6C is similar in weight to most solid stainless razors that I know of. It is a little heavier than a Mergress. You may just prefer lighter razors, in which case the Rockwell won't be a good match for you.

On the extreme end of things, I have seen some truly massive custom handles for razors on these fora, and I haven't been able to imagine having to deal with that much thickness and mass, but the razors I mention here are comfortable for me to handle.

YMMV is still in force, as ever before.

- Murray

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Thu May 31, 2018 8:37 am

Murray, you may be right that I just prefer lighter razors. The Mergress was fine for me, but obviously I did wind up parting with it. After having tried a hundred-dollar solution to a small problem, I'm now working on two different and very cheap ones.

The free option - I've refocused my technique work and have gotten closer shaves with just a little extra attention.

The $10 option - I'm buying a v3A head from Maggard. The v3 is a DE89 clone, and the V3A is supposed to be a shade more aggressive. If it works for me, great. If not, I'm out less than the cost of a subpar meal from Chili's. Plus I can keep using the Barley handle, the feel, weight, and look of which suit me.

I know this was a very short trial for the Rockwell, but the head shape just made it less maneuverable than I'd prefer. Maybe I ought to give it more time, but we are preparing to move, and I don't want to move anything that I am not keeping long-term.
Regards,
Tim

Tucker

Post by Tucker » Thu May 31, 2018 6:41 pm

I have the Rockwell 6s and the 6c in White Chrome. I prefer the 6s, as it is more grippy. The 6c is a bit slippery, but it hits a price point. The threads were real rough on the 6c, and I had to use a tap to chase the threads in the handle, and use some mineral oil. Other than that the finish is flawless and shiny. The Rockwells both shave the same which is excellent, but not the closest shave out there. I use R2, R3, & R4 depending on the blade being used.

Gary, I think both the aluminum and the SS Colonial Generals shave a bit closer than the Rockwells. I am happy to have all of them in my den, as variety is the spice of life. Get the 6s, and you will not regret it. Of the four razors that I mention above, if I could only own one, it would be the 6s for the versatility.