Straight razors meet The General by Colonial

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Straight razors meet The General by Colonial

Post by brothers »

Still a single edge, but a month of exquisite shaves per blade with zero maintenance. I love my razors and all of the peripheral stuff. Love it but lost all interest in perpetually chasing a perfect edge. No more concern about the two SR realities: (1) less than perfect shaves in the absence of a lot of effort is inevitable. (2) The awareness of - and responsibility for - maintaining and using all of this stuff with all the skill I can muster upon penalty of failure of (1). Yes, it's cool and impressive. Oh well, there must be something wrong with me. #-o

Or . . .

The General SE razor always provides perfect shaves that meet and exceed all of my lifelong shaving perceptions and expectations. It's obvious that all of the razors and blades I've used previously, DE, SE, straight, injector, disposable, etc., one and all, were prologue. =D> Oh happy day!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Re: Straight razors meet The General by Colonial

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, glad you're enjoying it and I wish you many more fantastic shaves!

This just reinforces my belief that there are many roads to Rome. Try them all and travel the one that suits you best.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

After 20 days of outstanding shaves with the Kai Original Captain blade loaded in the General, it became very clear to me that there's no straight razor that has or will have provided me with the best shaves of my life every day with zero maintenance required or anticipated. I have no regrets or guilt making this declaration of freedom. :D Yes I love all of my straight razors. Do I love my strops and hones? :D I love my General and its blades!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For me, I'd say I like The General, but I love my Livis.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Gary, you've always been a member here that "when you talk, I listen." I think this is quite a shaving journey for you that resulted in favoring the Colonial General above all others. I got a kick out of you secreting one in a bank savings deposit box which is something that I would do. You aren't the only one that ordered a backup! For me, thankfully the Colonial General is not a jealous mistress, as I have drifted to other razors. However, for me it gives the shave by which the others are judged. Here in 2018, "the future is now," and we have really hit an epoch for wet shaving with all the wonderful products that are available. Shhh, don't tell my wife, more razorr, blades, soaps, creams, and brushes are on the way!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tucker, the General seems to hit just the right note for me. I hope every guy is lucky enough to find that one special razor (and blade) that is a perfect fit day in and day out, no matter which razor that turns out to be. The search is more complicated these days due to all of the new razors that are available.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Whenever I venture into the intriguing world of the mighty straight razors, it's an enjoyable pastime. Getting back with the General for every day shave perfection is like coming home again after a holiday trip visiting relatives. A lot of fun but nothing's better than home sweet home.
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

New razor from Colonial:

https://colonialrazors.com/collections/ ... 2285304774

I just got an email from them about pre-ordering.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I will be eager to read early reviews sometime in the fall. Here's hoping the DE by Colonial will be just as outstanding and popular among shavers as the General has been. I like the General too much to even contemplate the possibility of buying one of these. I'll leave that to devotees of double edge razors.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, aluminum is my daily workhorse and I have a brass one around here somewhere. (or is it bronze?) I think it's pretty cool that the Colonial guys are going to throw their hats into the DE market.
Gary