Seven Blade Razor???? (and - Gillette compatibility chart)

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Seven Blade Razor???? (and - Gillette compatibility chart)

Post by Pauldog »

https://www.dorcousa.com/pace-7/

Did anyone else know about this? When the Schick Quattro was topped by the Gillette Fusion some years ago, and then Schick didn't up the ante again, I thought the blade "arms race" was done. Then Dorco came out with a 6-blade razor, and I thought the world would end. Instead, I grew a beard, and Dorco responded with a 7-blade razor.

I'm not going to make any predictions about future blade counts. My head hurts. My beard hurts.

Here's the Gillette chart:
https://cdn.voyager.pgsitecore.com/en-u ... 1609260855
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Seven Blade Razor????

Post by Pauldog »

I also just discovered that there's now a Gillette3 and a Gillette5 razor. I suppose they're made to appeal to guys who think the Mach 3 and Fusion are too expensive?

And I just noticed that they aren't included in the compatibility chart.

But according to this website, the Gillette3 is compatible with Mach3, and the Gillette5 is compatible with Fusion:
https://sharpologist.com/2018/04/gillet ... idges.html

But NONE of them is compatible with double edge blades!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Seven Blade Razor???? (and - Gillette compatibility chart)

Post by drmoss_ca »

In the days when I used multiblade razors (yes, there was such a time, but it was long ago*) I was quite happy with three blade Sensor, and found it better than the Trac II. They should bring back the Sensor!

*I just had a flashback to the intro to Noggin The Nog from 1959:

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm hooked. Gotta see more installments.

Yesterday I passed by the shaving section at Target. Saw all of the 3s and 5s, and being uninterested, I found it quite confusing and superfluous. If it's a vehicle for lowering costs, then I'm all for it. I just won't be a buyer.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

But Chris, where's the shaving? Like this old thing:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/67/bb/d2/67bb ... arbera.jpg

You can still get a Sensor handle fairly easily, just not at a physical store, except maybe a shaving specialty shop where you can probably get a Sensor head on a fancy handle. (Maybe some large store like Target still has a Personna or other off-brand Sensor knockoff.) The blades have always been available.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I recently returned to using carts due to essential tremor--some mornings my hands are unsteady and the results weren't pretty. I figured with a multiblade system if I could get the cutting surface (plane) on my face without slashing it, I was in good shape. It has turned out to be true and I'm having no problems like the cuts of my last few months with the DE. Also, my shaves are very good.

I tested Mach 3 (I liked it before switching to DE) and Harry's (free sample, no harm trying it). Although I can't complain about the results, Harry's is a good shaver in my experience, I don't like the 6 blade (5 plus 1 trimmer). It also doesn't solve my problem. You need to picture me laughing out loud trying to get that single blade to trim tricky areas under the nose with shaky hands. So, Mach 3 it is. I can manage getting under the nose and even sideburns almost as well with a Mach 3.

So, about the 7 blade wonder. I don't doubt that one can get good, quick and easy shaves with it. I certainly do with Harry's (notwithstanding my little trimmer issue). In a way, I understand why some guys like these 5 and 6 blade shaving surfaces. With a protective lather it just seems gentle and smooth gliding across the face (I shave daily, might be different for those with stubble).

One final thought. 9+ years of DE shaving really does something for cart shaving. It's easier and with better results than before my DE interlude. Some of that is likely due to better soaps and creams, but mostly adapting technique.
dunn

Post by dunn »

Hello everyone,
Did you used and know about this style safety razor ?
https://imgur.com/a/LY6XcRX
Blade is compatible with Mach3 and Fusion5 but the handle is made of resin which is simillar with shaving brush
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Yes, I have seen fancy handles like that, including some from Edwin Jagger. There are also fancy (and not fancy) handles with multiple blades incompatible with Gillette. And now the Mach 3 and Fusion are old enough (so some patents expired) that you can also get cartridges from other manufacturers.

In fact, by my internal clock (not based on any real news), Gillette is about due for coming out with a successor to the Fusion. Or have they come out with so many variations on the Fusion, that there won't be a new Gillette for quite a while?

From what I'm reading, while the Dorco cartridges will all fit all their handles (with one exception, the Pace Comfort Thin II), they won't fit any other brand of handle. There are other brands that are actually Dorco "under the hood," such as Dollar Shave Club. And if you see "Made in South Korea" on something at a store, it's Dorco.