Help me remember what this razor is

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Help me remember what this razor is

Post by Pauldog »

Years ago, I think we identified this razor here, but I've forgotten what it was, and I'd rather not dig through piles of old posts.

It looks like a Gillette Super Speed, but it's older and has an open comb. It's not a Regent Tech, which is gold, and it's not a Ranger Tech, which is silver colored like mine, but has no comb. The website safetyrazors.net doesn't always say which razors have a comb, though it does have a lot of info:
http://www.safetyrazors.net/gil_ser2.htm
CMur12

Re: Help me remember what this razor is

Post by CMur12 »

My memory is a little foggy in these matters, too, Paul.

Was there a Sheraton that was like a later Aristocrat, but with an open comb?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

David, I might be able to help if I could see a picture of it. I think I still have a Sheraton. Yeah, it sometimes takes a lot of time to search around, but once in a while it pays off.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I did some more digging, and I think my silver colored (which seems to be a somewhat dull nickel or zinc plating) open comb TTO is a Senator. I'd been assuming that "Senator" referred to a fancier model with shinier metal, but apparently not. I also discovered that I have several other old TTO Gillettes - a Regent Tech, a Ranger Tech, and an Aristocrat. The Regent and Ranger look very much like the first Super Speed.

Adding the word "Tech" to the name made things much more confusing, since the other Tech models were 3-piece.

Why am I discovering razors that I didn't remember I had? I had bought a bunch of razor lots on eBay with the intention of cleaning them up and selling most of them and keeping some I especially liked, but I had so much RAD that I accumulated a lot more razors than I ended up selling or using. I had to fight off the urge to buy more when I searched for razors to answer the questions in this thread. It led me to dig through all the razors I had stowed away. The happy part is that a lot of them are worth something, and there's now a good chance I'll sell off a bunch of them. (I have a nice pile of adjustables in decent shape, for instance, and several with cases, as well as some rarer Schicks.)