An Atra Anomaly

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

An Atra Anomaly

Post by Pauldog »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222974914425

Why did this used one sell for so much, more than 5 times what used one usually sell for at best? The seller doesn't mention anything unusual about it, and new ones of the same vintage, in original packaging, go for much less.
brothers

Re: An Atra Anomaly

Post by brothers »

It had to be one of those folks Mr. P.T. Barnham spoke about.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I found out what happened. I was so curious that I wrote to the seller. He had arranged with a buyer to sell it, and to keep anyone else from buying it, he set the price very high. The actual buying price was somewhere in the normal range.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

strange story...thanks for sharing
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

I get what he did. He sets it high, then the buyer who wants it makes an offer and the seller can accept and do the deal.

I sold a batch of tools once - had offers coming in all the time.Some I accepted, some I counter-offered.

One company offered a fair price for the balance I had left over.

Good way to do it, I guess, but why bother? Just send the guy money via PP and get it shipped over.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Gene wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 am Good way to do it, I guess, but why bother? Just send the guy money via PP and get it shipped over.

It was through eBay, so they didn't have direct contact information.