OneBlade Core V2

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tucker

OneBlade Core V2

Post by Tucker »

I finally got around to trying the OneBlade Core V2 which was sent to me as a replacement for my V1 which I ultimately found to be exceedingly mild. Today, I used B & M Latha Unscented and an Omega Hi-Brush synthetic. Loading the Feather blade was easier than the V1 with the blade just sliding in for a friction fit. There is lots of glue on both sides of the blade and they come in the familiar Feather wrapper. Feather blades happen to work well for me in both DE and SE/AC format razors.

The overall appearance of the razor is quite nice for a shiny black plastic item. The QC looks impeccable. However, the razor is handle heavy with the metal rod "core" that runs through it with the head being plastic only. I'm a two-pass shaver, and this razor requires just a bit of pressure to engage the head interface. I found that I could do longer strokes, and in general it is a care-free shave. After my usual two passes, lathering in between, my face revealed a very efficient removal of the stubble that required minimal touch ups. Where this razor shines for me, is the upper lip mustache area, where it performs with the ease of a cartridge. The application of T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel, as an A/S,revealed no irritation.

Overall, for around $50, I can highly recommend this razor to the wet shaving enthusiast. I can think of applications for this razor for travel, or being in a rush in the morning, for its ease of use compared to a DE Razor. If someone was a novice, elderly, or handicapped, this razor would be a good fit. A downside, is that it doesn't seem like it would be very durable if it was dropped, etc. The other negative for me is the cost of blades, which were originally promoted as being for a single use. With my V1, I used them a total of four shaves, flipping the blade after two uses which is something that I don't bother to do with DE Razors.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: OneBlade Core V2

Post by Pauldog »

What about the risk of cutting a plastic blade stop while installing the blade? That's what was mentioned in some negative reviews on Amazon.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

That's a great question. I've only inserted a blade once in the V2, and it was effortless sliding right in. It didn't require much pressure to accomplish the insertion. The V1 was more finicky, in this regard, and the blade would get a bit lopsided as I tried to insert. As I recall, it required a bit more force to insert than the V1. The plastic head pivot interface, on both versions, is attached with a metal pin, and can potentially work itself out. It is just a friction fit like a roll pin in a firearm. I believe it this razor was dropped, it would potentially be comprised from the fall. However, we can all agree, that is the case with vintage Gillettes also.

I noticed on Amazon and their website, the price is up to $75 for the razor alone, and $50 if you do the subscription service scheme. I can recommend the razor at $50 which was the Black Friday price, but I don't think that it is worth $75 unless you have the special needs mentioned above. Yesterday, the shave was a DFS, but not quite BBS, if that makes sense. This would be a good daily driver, but I would want a backup new in the box. Back in November, they had the all-metal Genesis for $299. I mulled it over, but decided that I have too many razors to justify the $299 tariff. Presumably, the metal Genesis would have more durability, but I've never handled one.

There are a lot of good SE razors that do shave me BBS for reasonable prices. The readily available RazoRock Hawk, Ikon MR-SE, and the Colonial General come to mind. I have several DE Razors that are favorites as well: Feather AS-D2, ATT M1, Rockwell 6s (R3), RazoRock MJ-90 (A plate), and the Ikon B-1 Deluxe Open Comb come to mind right now.
Weekly

Post by Weekly »

Tucker wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 5:45 am I finally got around to trying the OneBlade Core V2 which was sent to me as a replacement for my V1 which I ultimately found to be exceedingly mild. Today, I used B & M Latha Unscented and an Omega Hi-Brush synthetic. Loading the Feather blade was easier than the V1 with the blade just sliding in for a friction fit. There is lots of glue on both sides of the blade and they come in the familiar Feather wrapper. Feather blades happen to work well for me in both DE and SE/AC format razors.

The overall appearance of the razor is quite nice for a shiny black plastic item. The QC looks impeccable. However, the razor is handle heavy with the metal rod "core" that runs through it with the head being plastic only. I'm a two-pass shaver, and this razor requires just a bit of pressure to engage the head interface. I found that I could do longer strokes, and in general it is a care-free shave. After my usual two passes, lathering in between, my face revealed a very efficient removal of the stubble that required minimal touch ups. Where this razor shines for me, is the upper lip mustache area, where it performs with the ease of a cartridge. The application of T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel, as an A/S,revealed no irritation.

Overall, for around $50, I can highly recommend this razor to the wet shaving enthusiast. I can think of applications for this razor for travel, or being in a rush in the morning, for its ease of use compared to a DE Razor. If someone was a novice, elderly, or handicapped, this razor would be a good fit. A downside, is that it doesn't seem like it would be very durable if it was dropped, etc. The other negative for me is the cost of blades, which were originally promoted as being for a single use. With my V1, I used them a total of four shaves, flipping the blade after two uses which is something that I don't bother to do with DE Razors.
Fifty Dollars well now fast forward nineteen dollars
A more recent proposition
Weekly

Post by Weekly »

Tucker wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 am That's a great question. I've only inserted a blade once in the V2, and it was effortless sliding right in. It didn't require much pressure to accomplish the insertion. The V1 was more finicky, in this regard, and the blade would get a bit lopsided as I tried to insert. As I recall, it required a bit more force to insert than the V1. The plastic head pivot interface, on both versions, is attached with a metal pin, and can potentially work itself out. It is just a friction fit like a roll pin in a firearm. I believe it this razor was dropped, it would potentially be comprised from the fall. However, we can all agree, that is the case with vintage Gillettes also.

I noticed on Amazon and their website, the price is up to $75 for the razor alone, and $50 if you do the subscription service scheme. I can recommend the razor at $50 which was the Black Friday price, but I don't think that it is worth $75
A more recent discovery is that it is worth $19 not
$75