"Resting" a DE?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

"Resting" a DE?

Post by mantic »

Gents--

I browse seven different shaving discussion boards (who'da thunk there'd be that many?) and I came across this interesting question on the Knox Cigar shaving forum:
I'm new to double edge blade shaving, having bought a Merkur a few weeks ago. I would appreciate the opinions of experienced users concerning their method of blade edge alternation. Is it better to: 1)shave with one edge until it's too dull (about a week for me), then use the other edge, or 2) use one edge one day and the other edge the next, alternately letting an edge rest for 48 hours? The reason I ask is that I read the following about straight razors and was wondering if a blade had the same properties:
"If you own a suitable strop, you should nevertheless take into account that the razor must first "rest" after use. After the razor has been carefully rinsed and dried, it should not be used again for at least 24 - 48 hours because the fine "fin" on the cutting edge straightens up again extremely slowly. If the razor is stropped too soon (or stropped incorrectly by moving it backwards and forwards without turning it over), the "fin" which is necessary for a close shave breaks off. Between six and fifteen shaves are possible without stropping in between."
Now, I had never heard of any of this before; I alternate sides on my Progress DE during each shave to even out the wear on each side of the blade.

Comments?

--Mark
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

Mark,

This topic comes up now and then. I have never found much of a need to let DEs rest. Some folks (Joel I think) have actually stroped a DE to smooth out the edge.

I would not use a single side of a DE for week before flipping sides because I have heard that an edge even unused will start to form very small rust spots from so many days of exposure to water.

I use a Progress and flip the sides every day and change the blade every week.

Just my thought.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

This might seem to simple, but I shave with one side, flip to the other side and shave. Rinse blade. Repeat. I change the blade once a week. Both sides get used equally.
Randy
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

I also use both sides of my DE when shaving but often wondered...

Should you open the DE razor and flip the blade over after each shave? Anyone ever try this and did it make any difference as to shave quality or life of the blade?
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Chris,

Not only do I remember that chap hyping the pyramid theory I remember more than one of them being available for sale. This is a product that would lend itself to a 3:00 A.M. infomercial. The way that the Gillettes are selling on E-Bay we should possibly consider a business venture.

John
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Still doesn't answer my question--should you open the DE razor and flip the blade over after each shave? Anyone ever try this and did it make any difference as to shave quality or life of the blade?
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Chris,

Your answer makes perfect sense.

Thanks,

Neal