Focus R48 Dynamic SE Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Focus R48 Dynamic SE Razor

Post by Pauldog »

I stumbled on this razor at a store website http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/

It got one mention in this forum before, with a very brief description. It's a pivoting razor that uses a broken-in-half DE blade. Videos on the store website explain that you need to press the upper part of the razor to your face and glide it around. If you try to use it by your usual habits, it will give you an unpleasant shave.

Has anyone tried this? I'm curious, but the entry fee for a new one is over $50. One barely used one sold on eBay recently for $25, but there aren't any there right now, new or used.
brothers

Re: Focus R48 Dynamic SE Razor

Post by brothers »

I have always liked and respected Jared (check my spelling) for the way he organizes and explains his website and products. He's an honest vendor. After reading his comments I am quite open to trying out this R48 if only there was a way to try it without first buying it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

That's why I prefer buying used razors (rather than new) in good shape - they're usually easy to resell for about what I paid for them.

There's not just RAD - Razor Acquisition Disorder. There's also RDR - Razor Divestment Regret. I bought a used Merkur Progress quite a few years ago, then sold it a short time later, and now recently bought one again, because I had no recollection of what the shave was like, and thought that it would be an especially respectable (and affordable) piece of hardware to have, plastic adjustment knob or not.

I noticed on another shaving forum that they pass around stuff to try. If I remember right, one person owns it, and then passes it on to the next person, who passes it on, and so on, until it gets back to the owner. I can think of two loose ends, though - reimbursing the owner for shipping cost, and what to do if the razor gets lost in the mail.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Yes, I have the raw aluminum version, and ordered from the Superior Shave. It is a nice razor with a pivot. I have only used it with Derby Extra and Lord Super Barber blades which are sold in 100 packs and are sold already broken in half. However, the intent is to break DE Blades in half, but for some reason I find that off putting. The barber blades are quite economical for around $7 per 100. There are several varieties to choose from including Perma Sharp Supers, Shark, and Derby Premium. The shave is quite good, but not the best I ever had either. I would say it is a DFS shave for me, but not quite BBS.

It is an interesting concept, and I would give the QC a 9.5 out of 10. I feel that the razor is a good value for the price point. It is a mild razor that is fairly efficient. I've never had any nicks or irritation with it. I like the Focus Razor better than the similar OneBlade Core V2. I enjoy using it more, and it's not plastic. If you do end up ordering from the shop above, I can also highly recommend Sampson's All-Natural Shaving Soap which builds a thick, rich lather even in hard water. I am not affiliated with the vendor. These are just my opinions.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The razor is made to take the little bend in the half-blade from bending by hand, but it's good to know you can use half-blades available commercially. I don't want 100 half-blades, though, so I'll try bending a re-wrapped worn blade to see what it's like.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I just bent my first DE blade. I can see just a little bend at each extreme end. I suppose you could put a tiny bend into a pre-broken blade, too, if it helps make the blade fit better. I don't like handling bare DE blades; too much risk of cutting myself with a false move.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I just ordered a used one on eBay, so we'll see how it goes...
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I tried it last night, using a Personna hospital blade with several shaves on it. My main takeaway is that it's going to take some practice to deal with "small" areas like my upper lip. Cheeks were easy - the technique mentioned by Jared at the Superior Shave of laying the head flat and putting pressure on the upper half of the head worked fine. Elsewhere on my face, I'm going to need to develop new habits.

With pivoting cartridge razors like the Atra or Guard, I didn't have to stop and figure out how to use them. Using the R48 is like learning how to use a manual transmission.

I'm not sure yet if it makes sense to have a pivoting head of a size quite a bit larger than the common razor cartridges. It's roughly twice the height of an injector blade. It might have made more sense to design the razor around an injector blade. (Imagine the Schick Type D with the addition of pivoting ability. That might be ideal - easy blade installation and pivoting. Having an "on/off" switch for the pivoting would be even better, I think.)

This gives me an idea - how hard would it be to gut a cartridge and install an injector blade or a cut-down DE blade? At the least, it could be tricky to get the angle right.

Gary, if you want to try this razor, I'd be glad to lend it to you...
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Tucker wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 am I have only used it with Derby Extra and Lord Super Barber blades which are sold in 100 packs and are sold already broken in half.

Jared recommends trying very sharp blades, so I'm going to go with that first.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

On my second shave, I realized that I can't press on the top of the razor head in areas like my upper lip - there's only room there for the smaller beveled area holding the blade. In those areas, I need to shave like I'm using an injector razor, and be careful with the pressure.

Looking at the small blade exposure and thinking about the above, I can see why a very sharp blade would work well in this razor. I'm thinking about trying something like the yellow box Russian Gillette blade.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the kind offer Paul. I don't think I'm ready yet.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Well, if you ever get curious...

In the meantime, I'll gradually be working out which blades work best. My next one is an old English Wilkinson blade, since it had one damaged edge and I already broke it in half. After that, probably a yellow box Russian blade. I'm not inclined to try a new half-blade before wearing out the previous one, since it's hazardous to have half-blades lying around. (With a regular DE blade, I can always find an empty razor around here to hold it.)
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The first time I tried an old Wilkinson, I cut myself in two or three places. I'm going to have to use just this razor for a while with the same blade if I want to get the hang of it. The technique is so different from what I'm used to. With a regular DE razor, I can adjust the angle, pressure, etc. pretty easily and get at least an all right shave. I did get an all right shave with the R40 tonight, but I didn't even know how I was getting nicked.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Interesting, I haven't experienced any nicks with the Focus R48, but I haven't tried sharp blades in it. Just Derby Extra and Sharks. I find the razor to be mild and easy to use. It is not a BBS shave for me, but I can get a DFS out of it.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

What kind of technique are you using?
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I do a two-pass shave, predominantly North to South, with some XTG strokes during the second pass in areas where I know that I can get away with it. I use short strokes. This razor likes a thinner, somewhat runny lather. I change blades every 2-3 shaves. I use a bit of pressure, but not much. I rinse the razor head frequently. It is definitely a mild razor. I find it fun to use, as it is such a clever design. I do ensure that the blade is loaded so that it is symmetrical. Occasionally it is a bit askew, and I have to fix it by reinstalling it,and making sure that it is completely against the two blade pins.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Are you pressing the back half of the head against your face, like the video suggests?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/RWEdEygoiGs[/youtube]
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Yes, his videos are helpful, and you definitely want to engage the pivot. I thought about the pressure as I was shaving tonight, and to me it reminds me of my cartridge shaving days.