Gillette Tech blade matching

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Shave4Fun

Gillette Tech blade matching

Post by Shave4Fun »

Greetings Gents,

I use a Tech about once a week, and since it is a milder razor, I use FEATHERS and get nice results. (If I use a Feather in one of my Super-Speeds, I risk getting blade rash or nicks.) For any Tech users, what blades do you like?

Thanks,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Dave2018

Re: Gillette Tech blade matching

Post by Dave2018 »

I have a 1940s Tech and use Treet Dura Sharp and Black Beauty blades.

I use them for 1 excellent shave only.

They are very cheap so no cost issues using them once.

I used to use Nacet, the 1st shave was quite harsh, nicks and irritation, the 2nd was better, the 3rd shave was the best but I want a great shave 1st time every time, Treet deliver this for me.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I just got some Nacet blades, so I'll keep this warning in mind. Is there a razor where the Nacet blades work better than that?
Dave2018

Post by Dave2018 »

Pauldog wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:45 pm I just got some Nacet blades, so I'll keep this warning in mind. Is there a razor where the Nacet blades work better than that?
You may not find the first shave as bad as I did, they are a very well regarded blade by many with more experience than me.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'll start with an adjustable or Rocket or Super Speed (maybe a good opportunity to try a blue tip), or a Tech.

I tend to use a blade until it gets uncomfortable. (It's usually still able to remove hairs all right, but it starts to pull.) Then, even if I'm in the middle of a shave, I'll replace it. Sometimes that blade will work all right in another razor, so I'll move it there. I don't think I've moved a blade twice, but I might consider it now, since I acquired more slants.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Roger, Dave, and Paul -

My experience has been that all of my favorite blades are favorites regardless of the razor I use them in.

I used the Tech exclusively for about three years, but I haven't used it much for quite awhile. Though I prefer something just a bit more aggressive than the Tech, I have not been able to achieve this through blade selection with the same razor. I can't use a Feather blade in any razor, including a Tech, without the infamous "skin-thinning."

Blades I liked in the Tech (and in all razors I have used since then: Weber, Edwin Jagger, Feather AS-D1, Mergress, Rockwell 6C, and perhaps others):

Treet Dura Sharp
Perma-Sharp Super
Iridium Super
Personna Med Prep
Gillette Rubie
Tiz (Iranian blade)
Personna 74 (vintage blade)
others

- Murray
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

CMur12 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:44 pm Hi Roger, Dave, and Paul -

My experience has been that all of my favorite blades are favorites regardless of the razor I use them in.

I used the Tech exclusively for about three years, but I haven't used it much for quite awhile. Though I prefer something just a bit more aggressive than the Tech, I have not been able to achieve this through blade selection with the same razor. I can't use a Feather blade in any razor, including a Tech, without the infamous "skin-thinning."

Blades I liked in the Tech (and in all razors I have used since then: Weber, Edwin Jagger, Feather AS-D1, Mergress, Rockwell 6C, and perhaps others):

Treet Dura Sharp
Perma-Sharp Super
Iridium Super
Personna Med Prep
Gillette Rubie
Tiz (Iranian blade)
Personna 74 (vintage blade)
others

- Murray
Greetings, Murray -

Thanks for that info. The good part is that at least three of these (Treet Dura Sharp, Perma-Sharp Super, Personna Med Prep) are still available as new from dealers, and saw Rubies on EBAY. I have about 700 Iridium Supers.

I can use the FEATHERS in a Tech, but that's the only razor I use them in.

Best,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Dave2018 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:55 am I used to use Nacet, the 1st shave was quite harsh, nicks and irritation

That's what just happened to me on my first shave with a yellow box Russian Gillette (SharpEdge). I don't remember which razor, though it probably was an old style English Rocket. I'm finding that the Maggard slant head is even safer than the Rocket for a first shave when I'm dealing with a blade I don't know. The Razorock Teck II head, too. I'll have to try the Muhle/Jagger head again to refresh my memory.

When I think of getting another razor (e.g., The Razorock SLOC or the new Phoenix Schick injector clone), I look at how many different razors I have loaded with blades and ready to use.