Who makes what?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Who makes what?

Post by Pauldog »

We pretty much know what Gillette makes, including the Indian version of Wilkinson blades. And I found out that Dorco makes the razors and blades for Dollar Shave Club. The Dorco blades fit just about all of their cartridge razors, but don't fit anyone else's.

If I remember right, the Van Der Hagen and the "As Seen on TV!" Micro One-Touch DE razors are really the common Weishi TTO. Some of RazoRock's razors are the same as some Baili (Chinese) razors - the DE1, Teck II, and maybe others. And their double open comb razor is supposed to be the same as one of the Yaqi razors.

I just figured out that Ming Shi makes the Shaving Factory TTO with the "scallops" in the head near the blade.

But I'm still wondering who makes Harry's razors. And I just discovered that Amazon has a private brand called Solimo that includes razors. The fitting on one I saw in a photo looks like a Sensor or maybe a Hydro, but it might not be compatible with either, just like the Hydro is not compatible with the Sensor.

Does anyone know who makes Harry's, and who makes Solimo? From what I read, there's a good chance Solimo is made in India.

By the way, the Solimo got a lot of negative reviews, mostly along the lines of "I have to go over areas many times to remove hair, and then I get skin irritation - it's not as good as Mach 3/Hydro/Dorco - it's cheaper, but you get what you pay for."
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Who makes what?

Post by Pauldog »

I discovered that Harry's owns the factory in Germany that makes their blades. I assume they also assemble the cartridges there. But is it compatible with anything else?

I've seen cartridge fittings in different brands that look compatible, but aren't; e.g., the Schick Hydro and the Gillette Sensor. Sometimes the fittings are one-way compatible or compatible with some brands among several; e.g. the Schick Slim Twin and the Gillette Atra and all its clones.

I'm glad I didn't have to live through the DE patent fights and figure out which razors would take my blades, and which ones wouldn't. It shows how flimsy and artificial the patents were, that a bunch of holes and slots in the blades let them fit virtually every DE razor ever made.