I’m looking for very mild safety razors for sensitive skin. HELP!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
chris1978

I’m looking for very mild safety razors for sensitive skin. HELP!

Post by chris1978 »

Hi Gents,

Long time no see. I’m looking for very mild safety razor that works fine for my sensitive skins. I’ve been doing okay shave lately but still have weepers and little cuts. I’m still using Gillette Gold Tech and Gillette Blue Tip TTO razor. I’m trying to not to get weepers but still got me. I have tried the Rockwell setting #1 and #2 and doesn’t workout well and tried Above the Tie M1 and it was O.K. But feel like bit more exposure. I still has little razor burns. I have medium thick beard that I only shave twice a week.

I’m looking for a better mild to very mild Razors that little blade gap. I like light razor but not heavy.

Here what I’m thinking about getting the safety razors:

Merkur Progress setting #1

Merkur open comb (which version has very little blade for sensitive skin Skin?) 15c or 1904/1906 or 33c or 45 Bakelite

Parker 87R TTO Razor

Gillette open comb?

Razorock Baby Smooth? but out of stock right now. I’m always want to try so bad but has been out of stock like more 5 Months.

Any PAA razors open that works for sensitive skins? How mild or aggressive is it?

If you help out let me know. I’m having hard time finding the right very mild razors. I don’t know to do 🤔

Chris A
churchilllafemme

Re: I’m looking for very mild safety razors for sensitive skin. HELP!

Post by churchilllafemme »

I too have sensitive skin. I get very smooth, comfortable shaves with a Feather AS-D2, a Charcoal Goods Level-1, and a RazoRock Mamba, using high-quality vintage blades.
_______
John
chris1978

Post by chris1978 »

John

I couldn’t afford two razors. Very expensive. I could get RazoRock mamba in barber Pole soon. Right now it’s out of stock. I really want to get baby smooth. So anyway have you tried any of these razors above that I posted? Merkur, Parker, PAA, Gillette open comb

Chris A
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Chris. It's good to see you posting.

If you are interested in a Gillette Slim adjustable, I have an extra that I will send you (completely free, no costs to you). You could use it on setting #1 and see if it's what you are looking for. It's clean and in very good condition. Just let me know. If you don't like it, you can send it back or pass it on to someone else.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

chris1978 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:48 pm John

I couldn’t afford two razors. Very expensive. I could get RazoRock mamba in barber Pole soon. Right now it’s out of stock. I really want to get baby smooth. So anyway have you tried any of these razors above that I posted? Merkur, Parker, PAA, Gillette open comb

Chris A
I have shaved with the Merkur, which on its lowest setting was similar to the Gillette Slim that Gary has offered you on its low settings, pretty much equivalent in mildness to the RazoRock Mamba. The open comb razors were all more aggressive for me.
_______
John
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Maybe a Gillette Super Speed or a Tech. Schick Krona - TTO, long black plastic covered handle. Some slants might work, but I don't know enough about them, and there's a wide variety. The Merkur slant might be the place to start, and then it's a matter of picking a blade for it.

The blade in general would make a difference - the combination of razor and blade.

A later injector razor might do it, maybe the Schick adjustable. These are all generally moderately priced, especially used. Blade choice is pretty foolproof - just about any Schick or Personna stainless blade should be fine. Off brands with the plastic used blade holder are really Personna.

Possibly a single edge (Gem) razor, though I'm not sure which ones to suggest. Maybe a later model, like the G-Bar. The Gem coated stainless blades are very good.

Probably NOT for you is the Muhle open comb model!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, the gold Tech and Blue Tip Super Speed that you are already using are about as mild as they get. The Weishi razor is similarly mild - perhaps a tiny bit milder, but I haven't used one in a long time, so I can't say for sure. It is definitely a mild razor, however. I think you'll have a hard time finding a milder razor than these three.

I have a Mergress (Merkur Progress with custom adjustment knob), which I use at the lowest setting. This is perfect for me, but it isn't quite as mild as a Tech. It would be closer to Plate 2 on the Rockwell 6C/S.

Schick Injector razors are generally on the aggressive side for me. The M Adjustable is mild at lowest setting and Gillette made an Injector razor that was similarly mild to a Tech.

I don't think single-edge razors such as the GEM models would work for you, as I find them to be quite aggressive. I have a Featherweight and a G-Bar, which are supposed to be among the mildest of these razors, and I find them aggressive - WAY more aggressive than a Tech.

Since you are already using razors that are about as mild as they come, you might consider making a thicker lather. I like the combination of a mild razor with very thin lather (with good glide but almost no cushion). With thicker lather, I think I would need a more aggressive razor, so thicker lather might help you.

Another thing you could try is Oliveology Shave Gel ( https://oliveology.com/ ). It is more of a liquid than a gel, but you just apply it like a liquid to a wet face and shave. It takes very little of it to do the job and it offers excellent glide and impressive protection of the skin. I spray my beard with a spray bottle between passes. I have no connection with this company but I am very impressed with the product.

Good luck, Chris!

- Murray
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

chris1978 wrote:Razorock Baby Smooth? but out of stock right now. I’m always want to try so bad but has been out of stock like more 5 Months.
I have a number of the vintage razors mentioned in this thread, but I've lately between rotating between the Razorock DE1 (Baili 171) and the Dorco PL602 and see no changes in the future. On Leisureguy's shaving blog, he compares the PL602 to the Baby Smooth. I've been trying blades that I put away years ago because they weren't smooth enough in vintage Gillettes, and the PL602 seems to tame them, as does the DE1.
libertine

Post by libertine »

Aluminum razor as lighter in weight or designed to be light weight razor. Titanium if no budget issues.

Above the Tie has nice aluminum razor with options.
Wolfman Guerrilla SS has hollow handle, some versions in neat colors in aluminum
Occam's Razor (O.R.E.N.) is lightweight SE razor with 3 interchangeable heads
Janus

Post by Janus »

Another vote for RazoRock Mamba. I've been using it for the last three months or so with Feather blades and keep getting close and comfortable shaves. Great razor IMO.
Janus
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Rufust445 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:09 pmI've lately between rotating between the Razorock DE1 (Baili 171) and the Dorco PL602

You might as well start with something inexpensive.
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:23 pm Chris, the gold Tech and Blue Tip Super Speed that you are already using are about as mild as they get. Good luck, Chris!

- Murray
Yes, I agree with Murray about the Tech and Blue tip. Not many milder unless possibly the Weishi and Schick Krona. They're fairly common. I think when we're talking about mild razors, you're are about as mild as you can get.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Some other things to try: do something like apply a wet hot towel to your face after washing it to make the beard extra easier to shave, and experiment with different lathers.

I think I already mentioned the Gillette Guard razor as a possibility.

I just noticed that you only shave about twice a week, and your beard is medium thick. That's a lot to mow down, and has to contribute to your difficulty. Most electric beard clippers are inexpensive. Mine uses AA batteries, and I use rechargeables to save money. That's what I would suggest to use before your shave if you're only going to shave twice a week. I also use mine to trim eyebrows, sideburns, etc.

I know people who just use electric clippers and always have a little stubble. This shouldn't be too different from your current look, anyway, and you can use a razor whenever you need a full shave.
Big Hubb

Post by Big Hubb »

I would suggest you look at the Parker Variant Adjustable DE Razor. Setting ( 1 ) is very mild, not at all aggressive. At $57.00 fairly cheap for the quality of the razor. This razor with normal care should last you many years. I would also suggest you give the TREET carbon steel DE blade a try. They are very smooth and not too sharp. You may only get 1 or 2 shaves per blades, but if they are easy on your face it's worth it. I would also suggest that you in to shaving with shaving oil, or at least apply some each time before you apply your shave cream.
1afc

Post by 1afc »

I generally like mild razors and I find the Tech almost too mild.

I have some adjustables incl Progress and Variant but the one I think is the mildest (and also the cheapest by far) is the Chinese Futur copy from Q shave (or a dozen others).

I don't have a Futur for direct comparison but it is definitely milder than the Progress and worth a shot.

I will warn you that it is a Jeckyl and Hyde razor though.

It looks like it has huge blade gaps but it is very mild BUT be very careful when you pick it up because the blades are exposed and they do bite fingers if not careful.

Good luck.
Alan

I went to the avatar shop but they'd sold out!!
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I second the Schick Krona. A relatively mild and well behaved razor. I would recommend using it with a good sharp blade such as a Feather. A sharp blade will help to reduce pulling and excess pressure. The Kronas turn up regularly on eBay for typically less than $20.
Rick
1afc

Post by 1afc »

Just a further update.

I like fairly mild shavers and have (with comments)
Tech - too mild for me
Progress - good but wore out (kept changing setting) I used on 1.5-2.5
EJ DE89 - mild
Variant - same as Progress but a heavier shaver
Krona - Mild
Starfire? Open Comb great shave but aggressive. Can't use it two days in a row.
Chinese Futur - quite mild but too much exposed blade so cuts are easy

Then I tried a Gem 1912 single edge with Gem PTFE blades. It also has an open comb.
Amazing,
I'm currently on the 8th shave with the same blade and the shaves have been extremely close with no cuts or weepers.

I also use Cella 1kg or ABAC (which is better IMHO)

So the 1912 is cheap and blades are reasonable so I'd suggest you give it a go AND use good shave soap.

HTH
Last edited by 1afc on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

I went to the avatar shop but they'd sold out!!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The Schick Type L is too aggressive for me (definitely not what I would consider mild); the M-Adjustable at lowest setting is good; and I haven't tried the Type N (though I have one).

Of the razors Alan mentioned, I would agree that the Gillette Tech is too mild and that the Schick Krona is mild. Beyond that, I would consider Edwin Jagger/Muehle razors "moderate" (not mild) and too aggressive for me. I consider the GEM 1912 to be very aggressive.

- Murray
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

The RazoRock Baby Smooth provides, for me, that almost magical combination of being very mild, very comfortable, and very efficient. It wipes off the whiskers and feels like I could not hurt myself even if I tried. It's aluminum and thus very light, which tends to promote a light touch and no pressure. Highly recommended and reasonable in price. Good Luck!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

"RazoRock Baby Smooth"

What blades(s) do you like with it?