A Guessing Game

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

A Guessing Game

Post by Pauldog »

OK, can anyone figure out (or guess) what the little projections on the blade are for? No fair looking up the patent before making a guess here.

Pat drawing.jpg
Pat drawing.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: A Guessing Game

Post by Pauldog »

The lettering in the picture reminds me of a B. Kliban cartoon. He was probably copying the appearance of similar material.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Paul, that's a puzzle! I don't know how you manage to find these. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I found it while looking for patents for the Gillette NEW razor, came up with an assumption about the projections, then read the patent and discovered that my assumption was wrong.

My search started by reading an old thread we were both in, where we and others were trying to figure out if you had a NEW razor or a "New Improved."

I also found some Gillette SE razor patents from around the same time.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I was thinking alignment of some sort but that makes no sense. So I'm guessing they push the blade off of the bed of the razor to make it easier to grasp. Not that I ever thought that was a problem.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

No, they're not for alignment while you're shaving.

They do push the blade off the bed, but the reason doesn't have to do with making it easier to grasp it.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Early leaf spring suspension for times when you take your razor off-road.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Pauldog wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:16 pm No, they're not for alignment while you're shaving.

They do push the blade off the bed, but the reason doesn't have to do with making it easier to grasp it.
Slant razor without the slanted head?
Bill
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Chris, you're right! (not)

And no, it's not to slant the blade.

I'll also eliminate my original guess - to have yet another patentable, exclusive thing to hold the blade in the razor, in addition to pins, slots, and all the other projections.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mr. Gillette or whoever else may have owned Gillette in the 1930s probably had a department (one guy?) who was constantly developing designs fit for patent. Just as he also had a department (some other guy?) in charge of finding small companies they could either buy out or otherwise put out of business.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Do you know about the merger between Gillette and Auto Strop?
brothers

Post by brothers »

The history of the company is very interesting. Here's a good description I found: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... y-history/
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Should I reveal the answer? The replies seem to have petered out.

I'll give a hint - the feature is apparently an attempt to have some new patentable feature, but it doesn't have to do with how the blade is positioned while the blade is cutting your whiskers.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Either everybody (all 2 of you! 3?) gave up or, more likely, lost interest. The projections suspend the blade in the middle when you loosen the head somewhat.

Why? is the question.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seemed like a good idea at the time I'm sure. :)
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It seems people used to loosen the razor head slightly for a more aggressive shave. Maybe this made that a bit more practicable before the advent of truly adjustable razors.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Murray, you might be right, but the patent document doesn't mention that. Also, when you loosen the razor to make it more aggressive, you're turning it very little.

If you opened the razor enough to let the prongs suspend it between the top and bottom plates (or between the TTO doors and the bottom plate), I think the blade would be too loose to shave with.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The purpose of the prongs is to hold the blade in a way that makes it easy to rinse clean and then close up the razor again.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Almost 90 years ago --- looks like the idea just didn't catch on. Makes me wonder what else is out there just gathering dust.
Gary