Schick Injector Type L Variations

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Schick Injector Type L Variations

Post by Pauldog »

At safetyrazors.net there are four different Type L models listed:

L1: Smooth back on handle ribbed below
L2: Stick Schick gearshift lever handle
L3: Schick Grip tennis raquet handle
L4: Schick II twin blade with blue handle

Let's ignore the novelty models L2 and L3 for the moment. I've never seen the blue handle twin blade L4, but I have a Type L with little "bumps" at the top of the bar guard:

Type L 3.jpg
Type L 3.jpg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 3056 times

I bought it on eBay, and the seller said it came from one of those cans Schick used to mail Type L razors with a pack of twin blades. He even included the opened can, and the razor was packed in the cardboard holder that I've seen when opening similar cans.

My guess is that the bumps are what make the twin blade model different, and that it didn't only come with a blue handle.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Schick Injector Type L Variations

Post by Pauldog »

The other variation is in the markings on the back of the head of L1 models:

Type L 1 vs 2.jpg
Type L 1 vs 2.jpg (92.33 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

The one on the left is older, and looks like the markings on the back of the earlier Type I and Type J models. I don't know if the two heads shave any different, or even if there's a difference from the shave of the Type I and Type J. My guess is that the heads are all the same, and only the handles are different. I remember having Type J handles sometimes coming loose from the head, and I never had that trouble with a Type L.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, my Type L looks like the shiny smooth one on the left.

I also have what I assume is a special edition Type L that has an all-metal handle. I believe it was called the Paul Revere, or such.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I forgot about the "Paul Revere," which should get its own L subtype. They also put that handle on a special edition of the Super II, their version of the Trac II.

For that matter, there's also the "Easy Rider," with a yellow handle.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Mine was the adjustable model -- following after my father's advise and example. He used a Shick almost all my growing up years. Really loved that razor - it was a great one to start my shaving life with.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wendell, that Type M Adjustable was a really good razor. I don't know if it was available when I started shaving, around 1967, but it would have been a better choice for me than the Type L. (I have an M Adjustable now, but I didn't know about it until I came to this forum.)

- Murray