Having the best shaves of my life with this razor!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Climb14er

Having the best shaves of my life with this razor!

Post by Climb14er »

As a few who have known me from the 'old' forum, I have been an aficionado of the Sensor Cryogenic Excel cartridges for quite some time. The shaves I have been getting have been fantastic.

For the past six months, I've been reading re: DE razors and blades and trying to figure out which way I should go. Vision or Progress???

I went with the Merkur Progress, initially with the Merkur blades and my shaves have been truly phenomenal, close, comfortable, no nicks, no scratches to my face, no razor burn...just really great shaves.

Gordon had advised in a neat PM and others on the forum to simply apply no pressure and allow the razor to do its 'thing'. This is exactly what I have done and my skin is feeling great!

The beauty of the DE as others might know is that it's not that aggressive and does not remove skin if you don't press too hard. If I'm preaching to the choir I digress. :wink:

I'm very happy to have gone with the Progress as it 'fits my face' well where the Gillette Adjustable I used last year, didn't. I had trouble with the Gillette as I sense the Progress has more weight to it, has a larger safety bar and just glides across my skin easier with no effort at all.

I've been patiently waiting for the delivery of fifty Feather blades that I ordered some time ago and once I feel more comfortable with the Merkurs, I'll try the Feathers.

Kudos to the Progress!
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
gkennedy34

Post by gkennedy34 »

Congratulations on your great shaves! As someone who's used cartridge razors most of my life the DE experience continues to be an interesting journey.

I'm using a Merkur Classic HD. I'm getting closer and closer shaves but I actually find myself having to get more aggressive to get a closer shave. What I mean by aggressive is that I started shaving less tentatively (moving a little faster) and although I don't apply a lot of pressure I am applying some. I also find that I am not being as careful with my blade angle (on purpose sometimes). I have yet to knick myself, but I find to get a really close shave (no friction when rubbing my hand against the grain) I end up with minor irritation.

My stubble is super tough so I assume someone with more cooperative stubble might be able to achieve a great shave more easily than me. My thought is that if I have to be too aggressive using this razor that I need to move to a Slant Bar or a razor that will allow me to have a more exposed blade. I don't know if I'm inviting trouble or providing myself with a solution to my search for a great shave with little irritation.

I haven't been disappointed and am loving taking the time to get a good DE shave, but I'm not where I want to be and am concerned I'm reaching the limits of what the Merkur HD and Merkur blades can do for me.
Climb14er

Post by Climb14er »

Forgot to mention:

I'm shaving only on setting #2, next to the least aggressive setting. I too have as firm beard with somewhat sensitive skin. Two passes with a slight third finish one. Easy on the pressure and take a little hair off at a time. The latter was the best adviced I ever heard of re: DE shaving.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
ScottS

Re: Having the best shaves of my life with this razor!

Post by ScottS »

Climb14er wrote:For the past six months, I've been reading re: DE razors and blades and trying to figure out which way I should go. Vision or Progress???
Great news on your progress with the Progress.

Seems like a no-brainer of a decision to me. The percentage of people who swear by their Progress seems to just blow away what people say about the Vision.

The Vison reminds me a little bit of the "It" episode of South Park, where people had to put up with all sorts of nasty things to drive the convenient conveyance Mr. Gerrison invented, and they did it anyway. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love their Visions, but from what I've heard, not enough for me to slam down a C-note to try one.

Since I started with my Progress, I've acquired an Aristocrat, a bunch of 40's-60's super speeds, a Krona, some older Gillette's, a 1-9 adjustable, and a Schick Dial. I keep meaning to try them, and I have tried the Aristocrat once or twice, and the Dial a few times, but I've been getting such great, comfortable, close shaves with the Progress that it's becoming really difficult not to pick that one up in the morning. I also really enjoy the Bic Metal, which I like to pick up now and again just to keep my technique up, as its a fine option for travel.

Scott
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Climb14er wrote:Forgot to mention:

I'm shaving only on setting #2, next to the least aggressive setting. I too have as firm beard with somewhat sensitive skin. Two passes with a slight third finish one. Easy on the pressure and take a little hair off at a time. The latter was the best adviced I ever heard of re: DE shaving.
One extra snippet-- on those occasions where I've already rinsed my brush and bowl, only to apply Aloe80 and find some unacceptable stubble by feel that I've missed, the Aloe80, when wet, is more than slick enough to use to pick up the last of the stubble.

Use with caution, as you have sensitive skin!!

Of coarse, this is happening less and less frequently as my real T&C is getting much better.

Scott
ichabod
Mackem

This may not apply to anyone else

Post by ichabod »

A few weeks ago, I would have described myself as having a tough beard and sensitive skin.
Now, with practice and using no pressure etc., I realize that I used to have a tough beard and crappy shaving technique. What I thought was sensitivity turned out to be a reaction to pushing too hard on the razor (especially using a sensor excel) and effectively grinding it into my face.
These days I can get a reliably close, irritation free shave that leaves no redness or sensitivty anywhere.
Using a Merkur long handle classic, by the way, and letting the weight do the work.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jerry, Glad to hear that it's going so well ( okay, so, I already knew, but glad to see you post about it ). No rush to try anything 'heavier', just enjoy your shaves. Your technique will continue to improve, almost by itself, so long as you don't slip into any bad habits.
Regards,
Gordon