Has anyone tried the Gillette 3?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Has anyone tried the Gillette 3?

Post by Pauldog »

I'm trying to figure out if the Gillette 3 handle is cheaper/lighter than the Mach 3. (They both use the same blades, just like the Gillette 5 and Fusion use the same blades.)

I could buy one for "research purposes," but I figured that I could ask here. I'm also wondering if there's a detectable difference between the Gillette 3 and Mach 3 blades.

It also leads me to realize that Gillette is taking forever to release a completely new razor and discontinue the Mach 3. Instead, they're making one version after another of the Fusion, and, to a lesser extent, the Mach 3. I suppose they realize that they can't just add another blade or two, and their secret underground (laser/artificial intelligence/virtual reality/cloud computing/cryptocurrency/nanotechnology/tech fad of the day) shaving lab hasn't come up with a better shave without messing up someone's skin. :)
pausted

Re: Has anyone tried the Gillette 3?

Post by pausted »

Paul, I don’t have an answer to your question but I can say that my experience with the Mach 3 has not been good. While I am a dedicated single blade shaver, I have bought several Mach 3 types (usually when they were on sale) over the years. I recall the regular Mach 3, the sensitive, the disposable, and even the one with the vibrating handle. All of them without exception have failed to give me anything resembling a decent shave. I pitched ‘em all and will never own another one. :D
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

My response would be a duplicate of Basil's. These aren't my cup of tea when it comes to close and smooth shaves.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think it was designed to do a fast one-pass shave and not miss much, for men in a hurry.

I kind of like the Trac II and Mach 3, and I like the Guard more. I can take or leave the other Gillette cartridge razors. From other brands, I like the Wilkinson Bonded and the Schick Tracer, both discontinued. Some of the Feather cartridge razors are supposed to be good as far as cartridge razors go, but I haven't seen any of them in person. I think they use unique cartridges, and I'm not curious enough to get one.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

when you mentioned the 3 in an earlier thread ( a few weeks ago) I went looking, for curiosity, but couldnrt find a razor gillette 3 anywhere, not even on gillettes site

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. just went looking again....its all over the www now.

btw, I tried two of the feather razors and cannot understand the love for them.....the blades get clogged so quickly it makes shaving a giant pita chore

clive
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I just tried a Feather in the Maggard slant head, and it was very nice. I didn't notice any more clogging than with any other blade, and I was shaving off at least 36 hours of growth. (But I haven't really had a clogging problem with DE razors in general, not nearly as much as with cartridges.) I don't think I've tried Feathers in too many razors.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I didn't notice any more clogging than with any other blade, and I was shaving off at least 36 hours of growth.
might be a miscommunication...i thought in your earlier comment you were talking about feather cartridge's
Some of the Feather cartridge razors are supposed to be good as far as cartridge razors go
and that is why i mentioned how horrible i think they are

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hm, I've got a Feather Neo with twin-blade cartridges and I think it's a very good razor for it's type. I don't use it more because I prefer the feel of a single blade.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Clive, that makes a lot more sense (Feather cartridges clogging, not DE blades), and I'm sorry for misunderstanding you.

I'm surprised that Feather never came out with a single blade cartridge. And I'm surprised that Gillette did (the Guard), especially at such a late date.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray, Im sure part of my criticism of the feather comes from my fusion love, but for me and the lather I like, the blades clogged up very fast and once clogged it took a lot of effort to unclog them. The first part of the shave was fantastic :D :D :D but after that it was all downhill and frustrating

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my effort to not overthink stuff like this, I suspect Gillette has a marketing dept whose main function is to create ways to pretend that stuff is new and different, but not really. Just changing labels and names is far easier. And the smart folks can keep on getting their huge paychecks while the folks who buy it and use it every day can pretend the results are worth the bucks they spend on the "new improved" same old stuff in different packaging and new names. As the saying goes, "nothing to see here folks, move on". :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think the Gillette 3 and 5 are responses to slackened sales due to high prices. They seem somewhat cheaper to make (less metal in the handle, etc.), so the profit margin wouldn't go down much, if at all. And adding more product versions means taking up more shelf space at the store.

Anything to avoid reducing the price of the "premium" "flagship" product, apparently.

I've casually noticed all these versions of Mach 3 blades over time - regular, Turbo, HD, nano-thin, Gillette 3, Sensitive, low cholesterol, polyunsaturated, low carb, low fat, high protein. (At some point there, my mind slipped and I started thinking about eating rather than shaving.)
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

With the Feather cartridge razors, my suggestion is to shave at the kitchen sink and use the sprayer to unclog it. :)
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

To return to Paul's original question, I have tried the Gillette 3 and I like it. To me, the 5 and Fusion seem too big to get the job done. The 3 is just plain and simple and effective. I would prefer a DE shave, but the Gillette 3 (to me) is a good choice for travel or when in a hurry or when particularly tired. You don't have to pay as much attention to the angle, since Gillette has done that for you -- for good or ill. I gives me as close a shave as DE but is more expensive and less environmentally friendly.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Is it a lighter handle than the Mach 3? I'm guessing that it is lighter, like the current Sensor razors made in Asia and not sold in the USA.