Razorine shavette type razor - uses an unbroken double edge blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Razorine shavette type razor - uses an unbroken double edge blade

Post by Pauldog »

I just stumbled on the Razorine. It shaves like a straight, but has a guard, and uses a whole double edge blade. It comes in chrome and raw brass. Some people gave it high marks, but others said that the blade exposure was unequal between the two sides, even after much fiddling.

Then I found a similar one called Daune, made of plastic. The main complaint I read with this one is that the USA price is much higher ($20) than the Europe price ($5).
Attachments
Razorine.jpg
Razorine.jpg (14.54 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
Bill_K

Re: Razorine shavette type razor - uses an unbroken double edge blade

Post by Bill_K »

That's an odd-looking design; the handle seems like it'd be awkward to hold onto, especially if your hands are wet. I did find a review here: https://shavenation.com/products/razori ... -or-chrome

Did you buy it? If so, let us know how well it works.

Bill
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the link of the video and the reviews. There are a wide range of favorable and unfavorable reviews to read. I'll be watching to see If any of the SMF members are buying and using these razors, and their results.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thunderbolt_A10

Post by Thunderbolt_A10 »

It's true that it's an uncommon design, it's a shame that you can't just go to a razor shop and try out razors like you'd do with clothes, cars, watches or whatever. I think I'll see if I can find a shop that delivers Daune razors to Russia, because I'd give it a try. If I like it, it's great, if I don't, well, I'll just throw away $5+shipping, it's the same as going to the cinema to watch a terrible movie.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am Italian but living in the UK. . . . I know and use a Daune. Daune razors are quite common in Italy where are used by many barbers. You can buy one for under 8 euros or 6.5GBP there. It is mainly made of light weight plastic with only brass rivets holding the handle together and a metal screw to hold the head back plate in place. These takes regular DE blades in and the blade remains straight, does not bend like in DE safety razor. I guess the good thing about those razor is that they help you learn the right angle necessary to shave with a straight razor but at the same time keeping you safer thanks to the head guard. The other side of the head is curved like in DE heads and therefore hels in finding the contct angle. Although virtually weightless aside of the heavy screw on the head, I find that no real pressure is necessary in using it. The main down point for me is the fact that is less obvious to identify where exactly the blade edge is when shaping the side burns, and being right handed, i find it odd to shave my left side of the face, having to hold the razor upside down, with the curvature for the ring finger being at odd.
I found this review of the Duane razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Between having so many other razors, the Razorine getting mixed reviews, and the Daune costing so much in the USA, I'm not planning to get either one.