Occam's Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Occam's Razor

Post by brothers »

I have received a gift of an Occam's Razor. It uses the AC style of SE blade. It has 3 optional base plates that dictate the degree of mild/aggressive performance. I have yet to use it, but am looking forward to using it and comparing the performance to the General. Replacing the base plates involves removing and replacing two tiny Phillips screws. The packaging includes two spare screws which inevitably will be lost over time. The objective as I am informed, is to figure out which degree of mild/aggressive blade exposure suits the user and leave the plate of choice in place indefinitely, eliminating or reducing the necessity of changing the base plate frequently.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: Occam's Razor

Post by brothers »

Following up, I used the Occam's Razor this morning. I used my current Kai Mild blade. This was shave #25 on this specific blade, which will go up to 30 or so. Inserting and removing the blade is straightforward, and the razor comes with a tool that will assist the user when removing or inserting the blade. The razor was pre-loaded with the middle of the road base plate, between mild and aggressive. The resulting shave was very good.

For some unexplained reason, the manufacturer recommends Feather Super Pro blades with the aggressive base plate. This sounds extreme overkill to me. If anything, if I decide to use the aggressive base plate I will not add the inherent highly aggressive Super Pro blade. Not unless I like to bleed, which I do not.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Gary, can you supply a picture of, or link to, the razor? Googling (or DuckDuckGo-ing) yields only the philosophical Occam's Razor. Thanks!
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's a link I found. I think they might refer to it as Occam or O.R.E.N.
https://www.classicshaving.com/products ... 6883549283
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I just watched the video. Since the screw heads are #1 Philips, they're not too tiny and so maybe not too easy to lose.

It seems somewhat more complicated than a Schick adjustable injector razor, so the main reason for me to consider one would be the quality of the shave.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Here's something similar at Connaught Shaving that takes standard Injector blades:

https://connaughtshaving.com/supply.html

- Murray
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:14 pm Here's something similar at Connaught Shaving that takes standard Injector blades:

- Murray

The same razor Murray has mentioned is available to US buyers much more economically (and likely faster) at the OEM's website https://getsupply.com/products/the-single-edge-razor.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

slackskin wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:44 pm
CMur12 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:14 pm Here's something similar at Connaught Shaving that takes standard Injector blades:

- Murray

The same razor Murray has mentioned is available to US buyers much more economically (and likely faster) at the OEM's website https://getsupply.com/products/the-single-edge-razor.
Thanks for this resource, slackskin.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

The big difference between the Supply injector razor and the Occam/Cobra/Mongoose/Hawk/General/etc. is the blades they use.
Sometime during the past several year-end days, Classic was running a sale on the Occam.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I just ordered a Supply Injector from the link that slackskin provided. (My thanks to slackskin!)

I have a pretty good supply of Injector blades, but none of the Schick Injector razors worked that well for me, even though my first five years of shaving were with a Type L Injector. If I have a really good experience with this razor, I might have to see if I can increase my blade stash from the old stock Schick Injector blades that Paul has on offer.

I might note that I am reluctant to try a razor that uses Feather single-edge blades because I fear that said blades would be too sharp. I can't use Feather DE blades for this reason and I have read about members on this forum suffering "skin thinning" from Feather straight razors.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

It's worth trying the Schick Proline injector blades from Japan, too. They come in both sizes.

Murray, have you tried the Schick or Pal adjustable injector razor, the Pal Injectomatic, or any of the older Schick razors, such as the Type E?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, I'm amazed that Schick has blades (Proline) made in Japan! Are they the same format as Injector blades, without the injection dispenser? Are they especially good blades?

I have a couple of Schick M Adjustable razors, and they work all right when set low.
I have a very mild Gillette Injector which works fairly well for me, if a bit too mild.
I have a number of other Schick Injectors, from Type L on back, that are just too aggressive for me to use on a regular basis.
I have an old bakelite-handled Schick that I haven't even tried, as I have read that they are even more aggressive.
I haven't tried any of the Pals, but what I read about them here before didn't make them sound like good options for me.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I only tried one once or twice, but with very good results. I bought them a few months ago. The come in a dispenser similar to the Feather blades, with no "finger" for dealing with most injector razors.
Attachments
Proline B-20.png
Proline B-20.png (91.51 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray and Paul, B-20 are the injector blades, and P-30 are the longer Artist Club blades. I found this information regarding the Schick Proline injector elsewhere ---
How difficult to load a vintage Schick injector?
Not difficult at all. You have to have another injector cartridge with a key.
The Proline cartridge has no key so you must first transfer an individual blade in to another cartridge which does have a key, in order to load in to a vintage Schick razor.
Simply eject a Proline blade from its cartridge and then carefully slide it in to the keyed cartridge through the gap where its blades slide out from.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thank you, Paul and Gary.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The Schick Type N is supposed to be milder than the L, so it's also worth a try.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pauldog wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 pm The Schick Type N is supposed to be milder than the L, so it's also worth a try.
Yes, I think it's probably time to do just that, Paul.

I also have a Type O clone that I got around the time I joined this forum. I never actually tried it out, either, though I believe I read from others, years ago, that it wasn't very good. I got the non-adjustable version, hoping that its simplicity would increase the chances of a successful clone, and it appears to be well made. I'll need to try it out, too, one of these days.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just following up on the OP ---
Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor) is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case the one that requires the least speculation is usually better. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation.
Occam's razor.png
Occam's razor.png (26.39 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

CMur12 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:06 am
I also have a Type O clone that I got around the time I joined this forum. I never actually tried it out, either, though I believe I read from others, years ago, that it wasn't very good. I got the non-adjustable version, hoping that its simplicity would increase the chances of a successful clone, and it appears to be well made. I'll need to try it out, too, one of these days.

- Murray

I never heard of a Type O adjustable. What I heard was that the O is pretty much the same as the N as far as shaving, though the appearance of the razor is much more "modern."

Murray, did you get the clone from ebarbershop.com? That's the only place I've seen it, and I was tempted to get one myself a while ago.
Attachments
Schick O.jpg
Schick O.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That's the one, Paul, and I did get it from ebarbershop.com, some 12 years ago.

I thought they offered an adjustable one, also, but that could just be faulty memory.

- Murray