Schick Proline P-30 (Artist Club size) blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Schick Proline P-30 (Artist Club size) blades

Post by brothers »

I've ordered 3 Schick Proline P-30 Artist Club blades from TryABlade. The reviews I have read regarding these blades are quite positive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Re: Schick Proline P-30 (Artist Club size) blades

Post by pausted »

I hope they work well for you, Gary. They didn’t for me but, of course, everyone’s face is different.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

TryABlade serves a good purpose.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gary, may I assume these are for your General? I am very interested in your take on them - I have been tempted to buy some as well.

On a separate, but related note - is the General available in silver, but NOT the more expensive stainless steel? I have the black aluminum, curious if they did a silver aluminum, too.

Thanks!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene, just now I took a look at Colonial Razors' website and evidently they are not currently listing any available razors. In my case I have an aluminum General head in the light gray finish.
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

The Schick Japan Proline Page

Post by Pauldog »

https://www.schick-jp.com/proline

There's also an intriguing picture of a double edge blade pack.

And this no-longer-made Proline straight razor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323613924924
Attachments
Proline DE Blades.jpg
Proline DE Blades.jpg (8.49 KiB) Viewed 13148 times
Proline Razor.jpg
Proline Razor.jpg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 13148 times
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that I have sample P-30 blades I can begin my comparison.
Gary

Gene

Post by Gene »

Fingers crossed that they are good!!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

18 so far, and no complaints
Gary

Gene

Post by Gene »

Morning Gary ... Good news! I was wondering how things were going. Thanks.
Gene

Mark Twain

Alan Moore
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I like having the smaller size in my Schick razors, and I like the shaves, too - a very good combination of smooth and sharp.
brothers

Post by brothers »

25 as of today and still going. Of course not as sharp as a month ago, but not bad. I'm going to toss it when it hits 30 or starts to drag and pull. Whichever happens first.
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

How do you like it compared to the other blades?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good question Paul. When I first started thinking about getting and trying the Schick blade I had serious doubts, and low expectations. A couple of days ago I ran my thumbnail along the edge, and there were no nicks. That's a bit unusual for a blade with almost a month of use.

Following that, I decided to compare it to a freshly honed straight razor blade. Shaving arm hair is always a good test for a straight razor. The Schick P-30 with 28 shaves wiped off the arm hair with no hesitation. Also no honing, no stropping, no stones, no pastes, zero effort and zero clock time spent getting and retaining that edge. In this regard the Schick performs for me at least as well as Feather and Kai blades - for me. Emphasis on for me. Also, it is extremely important to note the fact that this blade is used exclusively for shaving in the General razor by Colonial. This is probably why the blade performs so well for me, in my favorite razor.

Regarding DE blades. I have my favorite blades and razors in this area too, but the most shaves I ever got (as a stunt more than anything) was 25 for a vintage Gillette blade - The Spoiler. More commonly for everyone, I believe, would be somewhere between 4 and 10 comfortable shaves. There once was a guy who claimed that he never used his DE blades more than once before changing to a new one.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

--- 30 --- darn good blade
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

So that's what the "30" means in P-30! I'll be happy if my Proline B-20 blades (regular injector size) get 20 shaves.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Right! That would be great! No idea why they package 30 blades in the P series, but only 20 blades in the B (old injector razors).
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I've seen P-20 packs, too, but couldn't find B-30's.

And who knows what "P" and "B" mean... "P" can't mean "petite" and "B" can't mean "big," though that could be a reverse mnemonic to remember which code is for which size.
brothers

Post by brothers »

P is an easy one, it stands for Proline, which is the Schick razor that uses the P-sized blade. B is a puzzle yet to be solved.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Schick P series blades (in my experience) are sharpest during the first 10 shaves, then they gradually become less "sharp" and more "smooth". All of the whiskers are getting cut, but I can afford to apply just the smallest bit of pressure to get the job done. Still at the top of the game, and the result is predictably perfect every single day. Today marked day 17 on this blade and counting.
Gary